Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you really have health anxiety?

Do you really have health anxiety?

The realisation that I had health anxiety was one of the major steps on my road to recovery from it. It's not easy to accept as you think that you have a real disease. But here are some of the signs of it:

1. You badger your doctor for tests - you keep going to the doctor and push them to arrange the tests you think you need (after extensive Googling) to rule out whatever it is you think you have.

2. All your tests come back normal - from blood tests to MRI scans, all the tests you have all come back within normal limits. Maybe something's a bit off, e.g. high potassium, which sends you running back to Dr Google.

3. You can't help yourself from Googling symptoms - you frequently consult Dr Google for advice and reassurance.

4. You go from OK to 'I'm going to die' in an instant - this is kind of like a panic response. You're just sat there watching the TV and you feel a twinge in your chest. In 1 second you go from relaxed to 'I'm having a heart attack HELP', and this may escalate into a full-blown panic attack.

5. Your mind is focused on your symptoms all the time - you're constantly thinking about your symptoms, and it disrupts your life. It makes you cancel things, it affects your relationships, social life, work life. You're in a cycle of constant worrying about your body.

6. You avoid medical things on TV - even a static online ad about stroke symptoms can send you into a free fall of panic. You refuse to watch House or Casualty or similar programs lest they remind you of your own terminal diseases, or scare you. You hate it when you overhear people talking about people who have died.

7. A fear of funeral parlours - you hate going to funerals (who doesn't), but this is more than just hate - it's pure fear. You hate even seeing a sign above a funeral director's door.

8. You hate hospitals - because they remind you of health stuff. You see ill people and it makes you scared that you're going to wind up like that.

9. When you go away for a day or weekend, your symptoms radically improve - this was the key one for me. I would sit at home for weeks on end locked in a horrible cycle of symptoms and anxiety. But if I had to go away for something, holiday or work excursion, I would find that my mind was so distracted that I would not have time to notice any symptoms, or dwell on them if they did happen. Distraction is probably the most important part of the health anxiety 'cure'.

10. You don't want to do stuff - you just have a general apathy to anything.

11. You don't look forward to things - what's the point of looking forward to my birthday meal tomorrow, I'll probably be dead by the end of the day.

12. You confide in your partner/spouse - I was constantly telling my wife what was up with me just in case it escalated. I needed an outlet and she was it. I burdened her with all my symptoms, looking back I think what was I doing??? I even went as far as telling her if I'd had any medication, e.g. 'I just took 2 ibuprofen for a headache', so that if I ended up in A&E she could tell the doctors what I'd taken and when. Ridiculous I know, but not at the time!

Do any of these resonate with your own situation?

If they do you probably have health anxiety.

The good news is that you can get completely better.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: Do you really have health anxiety?

Yep... all of them skippy

All except 1 & 2 because I'm too scared of the doctor, tests and hospitals

As always Skippy, great post. And yes, we can get rid of Health Anxiety. I find that distraction, along with acceptance is the key to my recovery. Distraction helps me to take my mind off of the physical symptoms and helps to get me out of my own head. As long as I stay inside my own head, focused on that one little symptom, it never gets any better. That one symptom will escalate to additional symptoms. Then on to a full blown panic attack, we go.
    Acceptance was the hardest thing for me and it took loads of practice. Just sitting with the physical symptoms and breathing through the situation. Believing in my heart and my head that it was nothing but anxiety was so important.
    Practicing distraction and acceptance takes the away the power of anxiety and allows us to recover and live our lives once again.
    As always, great hearing from you.

Number 9 is so true for me. Take me out of my comfort zone and I am miraculously 80% better

Great post, Skippy!

I really hope that some sufferers benefit from your words of wisdom and find the strength and courage to accept HA and work on moving forward.

Best wishes to you

I can relate to most of these. Maybe not with the hospital feeling, since whenever i'm in the hospital, the care and professionalism that the medical workers, makes me feel kind of safe, secure and glad, that someone is dealing with "my problems".

Quote Originally Posted by WhyWhyWhy View Post
    All except 1 & 2 because I'm too scared of the doctor, tests and hospitals
    Yeah there are 2 types of health anxiety when it comes to hospitals, doctors etc.
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

Wow. How grim - I pretty much have all of them! I tidied my entire house today as a form of distraction and it really did work... Gotta find someone who'll let me tidy their house tomorrow!

#8 but not the last part... I just hate hospitals and for good reason...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information