Thread: white patches on both sides of the soft palate

white patches on both sides of the soft palate

I have a white patche on both sides of my uvula on the soft palate im scared as hell I quit smoking about 2 months ago but I noticed the white patches before that. I still dip but that wouldn't be a cause of irritation back there unless its cancer. And my uvula seams to be hanging more to the right of my mouth idk if that makes a difference or not. They aren't ulcers or anything and I'm not having anymore symptoms of cancer but I'm still scared. The patches are flat and look just like someone bleached my skin there. Someone who has had this problem or knows what it could be help me out please

Re: white patches on both sides of the soft palate

Hi RD,

Unfortunately, there's no way one can even attempt to diagnose via the forum. I had oral cancer and I can tell you that what you describe in not indicative of my experience or those of others I know from the oral cancer forums.

The rule of thumb is: If you have a suspicious area, lesion or node that doesn't resolve in two weeks or so, see your doctor and get a referral to an experienced ENT. Tobacco use, whether smoking or dipping definitely can be a reason for irritation. Take it from one who knows, use of tobacco products is detrimental to your health. Regardless if the outcome of your fear, you should stop all use of tobacco products and avoid drinking, especially of you're on meds.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 13-03-14 at 01:36.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you I've cut way down on dipping its really hard to quit. I'm going to give it a little while longer to see if it goes away if it doesn't soon Im going a doctor for sure

Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    Thank you I've cut way down on dipping its really hard to quit.
    Use of tobacco products WILL cause serious issues. I'll not say another word. Good luck!

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 13-03-14 at 16:49.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks

Hi Redneck,
    It is possible that your white patches are just the areas of the mucosa with less dense vasculature. It is hard to see the details on your soft palate as it is deep in the "darkness " of the mouth. But if you look behind your lips you'll see such spots on your otherwise red alveolar mucosa (just above the upper gums and bellow the lower gums at the front). They look whiter than the rest of the mucosa. A dentist with a good source of light can readily recognize them and reassure you. Good luck!

Ok thank you. They haven't grown at all I just noticed them a few months ago because I decided to check out my mouth because of the dip. And the smoking that I stopped. I'm thinking I'm going to get it checked out soon

Thread Information