Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nail Biting - Is It Bad?

Nail Biting - Is It Bad?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering whether anyone can help me with something - a good friend of mine bites her nails really really badly, right down so she has no white tips, sometimes a bit more. She even picks at them with a pin sometimes, she says its to get some nail because she just cant stop.

Is it actually as bad a habit as everyone says? Should I try to stop her? Does anyone else here bite their nails and if so how badly? I've been told its really rare for females, is that true?

Anyway, hope someone can help,

Paul.

I think girls may bite their nails less but that's possibly due to being more concerned with appearances.

Its certainly increases with nervousness along with having twitches and ticks and habits such as hair pulling and fiddling with things and biting the inside of your cheek and many others .

Many non nervous people also have these habits but they do tend to be AA personalities or have something to be nervous about or something to hide.

It's not bad as in dangerous although when she exposes the raw flesh its more at risk of infection and her hands will never be the same again for he ones that are down to the quick.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
    If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
    Robert Albert Bloch

Sometimes, i bite the inside of my cheek and really hurt myself and i just cant help it, i think i do so as to punish myself for being so stupid and in feeling anxious about every little thing.

Does she bite her nails as a form of punishment maybe? is she a happy person? This might be nothing for you to worry about, i bite my nails but just because i have a bad habit!! harrmless really!!

H

I bite my nails - always have done!

They don't look nice though.

Not sure why I do it - when I am bored I think.

I need to get some false ones to stop me doing it lol

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Thank you for your reply (thank you to everyone who replied!), its nice to know my friend is not the only one with the nail biting habit. I cant imagine anyone bites their nails as bad as her though, how badly do you bite your nails? Personally I think its a cute habit, I always preferred short nails, I guess its a refreshing change from most guys who prefer women to have long nails! I would never try to stop anyone biting their nails, but was just worried she might hurt herself. I think the important thing to come out of this is that no-one should have to quit a habit just because someone says they should

Thank you for this site as well, it is something which will help us all at some time or another.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul

Hiya Paul

I am quite embarrassed about my nail biting cos I think they look horrid. I don't have any nails and do sometimes eat the skin too [:I]

I tried all sorts like the nail bite lotion you put on but it made eating impossible cos the taste lasted so long in my mouth.

My mum used to make me wear plasters on my fingers to try and shame me into stopping.

I stoped once and they grew a bit but they were so weak that they just broke off. That is why I think I need fakes ones.

The other problem is that I am so used to having such short nails that I may never be able to type as fast lol and will probably stab myself in the eye putting my make-up on.

Seriously though I would like to grow mine just so they look nice -not bothered about them being long and painted.

Glad you like the site. Are you just here for your friend or do you have some issues of your own (sorry for being nosy )

Nicola

Nicola,

I think you should treat yourself and get some false ones.

There's loads of different ones you could try, from the ones in Boots which vary from £6 up to about £17, to the ones you get done in a salon which are lovely. Not sure how much they would set you back but bet you would feel very glam!

Go for it girl [8D]

Caroline
    x

haha!! i chew the skin round mine too!!!! at least we are not alone, we are both minging

H

.....or you could eat extra calcium and jellies for gelatin and try to get back some strength in your own nails !

Meg

AWW!!

Wel, I dont think you are, I think you are all sweet, and really kind for helping. Its nice to know you are all so honest too! My friend isn't my girlfriend, she is actually a friend of my sisters, but I was worried all the same.
    I have to be honest with you all, I think its a cute habit and I admit I like women with short nails[:I], but I didnt expect anyone here to have the habit as i thought it was very rare! There you are - it is possible for a guy to actually like short nails, even though i cant imagine you believe it!

Anyway, I'm off mountainbiking tonight, so have a good evening and take care

Paul x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information