Thread: pain in chest ..acid reflux

pain in chest ..acid reflux

Hi wondered if anyone can help me tried looking on websites for advice and information. I went to doctors 2 days ago for various things one being a pain inbtween my boobs , when i belch (not very ladylike i know) the pain goes for a minute then back again, have been taking tablets for this one a day and for most of the day its fine then about 4 ish uts starts up again. Tried to cut down on coffee drinking tea insted . its called acid reflux dont actually get the heartburn just this awful pain any tips and advice would be so grateful.
    Many thanks
    Anne xx

Hi there. I've had chronic acid reflux for years. I take Omeprazole for it (a proton pump inhibitor) as I found that antacids and Zantac didn't touch it. No side effects from that, and I've been taking it for ages. They do take a while (few days ro so) to have an effect though.

Apart from drugs it might be useful to keep a food diary to see whether any specific foods/drinks make it worse. Caffeine you've spotted, fizzy drinks/acidic foods etc sometimes don't help. Tomatoes, bizarrely enough, sometimes set me off.

Posture can have a lot to do with it. If it comes on in the afternoon, are you sitting at a desk/computer all day? Not sitting correctly can cause/worsen reflux (I'm guilty of this). Also my GP advised that raising the head of my bed a bit might help at night - not that I've done this myself as I'm OK at night by and large.

Stress is also a factor, as the more stressed you are the more stomach acid you may produce.

Other advice I've had/seen (some easier to follow thn others) includes:

• eat small regular meals - this will help to reduce pressure on the upper part of the stomach caused by eating large meals
    • avoid eating late in the evening to ensure that the stomach is empty at bedtime
    • drink alcohol only in moderation with meals
    • avoid smoking
    • maintain a healthy weight - being overweight can cause upward pressure on the base of the oesophagus
    • wear loose clothing
    • avoid bending too often, especially after meals

If you haven't already found it, some stuff here:

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc.asp?doc=345

Good luck with it all.

"Some days I wonder why I bother chewing through the leather straps."

hI Gribbley
    Many thanks for your reply actually i dont sit at a computer i work in a school kitchen , dont eat regulary because we are always busy and dont break for lunch. I do sit at the computer at night though especially on this site . I did try earlier to sit straight up rather than hunched and the pain did go and have been pain free most of the evening . Just wanted to say thank you again. All the best
    Anne

Re: pain in chest ..acid reflux

Hi, I am on 2 lansoprazole tabs per day and have had an acid problem for about 2 years ans i am still waiting for an endoscopy. one of the main problems i have is stomach pains from the acid build up every morning when i wake up. its like a numb pain which goes once im up and move around. also i have an extreme tiredness all day and my eyes feel especially tired. i find it hard 2 keep certain foods down and it is a hard condition 2 live with. the tablets did work at 1st but gradually the syptoms have come back. and even though i am very tired i find it difficult 2 relax and slepp at night, and then find it difficult 2 get up in the morning. the medication has effected my bowel movement so i eat well and take 2 doses or fibresure daily which has really helpped. i have had every blood test going but all came back normal. my mind will be at rest when i know 4 sure what is causing this, when i eventually get an endoscopy on the NHS (if they ever will!!). but until then it is making me very worried and pesimistic. does anyone have similar symptoms, such as the morning pains and tiredness?? x

Thread Information