Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woke up gasping for air

Woke up gasping for air

Has anyone else woke up gasping for air? It's really scary, my heartbeat felt weak and slow and I have constant air bubbles in my throat for the whole day. Really struggling to get a normal breathing rate going

Re: Woke up gasping for air

I have woken up gasping for air. I believe that it's a common anxiety symptom, and does not mean a more serious physical cause.

Thanks, I am on 80mg propranolol sustained release beta blocker, thinking it may be a bit strong for me and I should go back to 40mg

Happened to me many times.

There is a direct link between reflux and breathing difficulties. It usually manifests itself as not being able to take a full breath and forcing yawns all day for me, but I have woken up many times thinking I can't breathe.

The fact you're sitting up typing probably means it's not really an issue though

Beta blockers can effect your breathing though, so I'd look into that asap as well. No need to panic, just get it checked.

Yeah that's interesting cause I notice I yawn a lot during the day. Will speak to doc about it on Monday, cheers

Well, sleep apnea should be ruled out as well. It's a manageable condition, once discovered, but you would need to do a sleep study for diagnosis.

Ive had this happen a few time its really unpleasent and I couldnt go back to sleep for a while after, made my heart pound too...

Im not sure what it is though

If its only a one off the likelihood is its just a bad dream or something but agree with notcool. But am I right in thinking people with apnea usually snore?

QUOTE: There is a direct link between reflux and breathing difficulties. It usually manifests itself as not being able to take a full breath and forcing yawns all day for me, but I have woken up many times thinking I can't breathe.

Is this right? Maybe my reflux is adding to my miseries after all.

Quote Originally Posted by mummyanxious View Post
    If its only a one off the likelihood is its just a bad dream or something but agree with notcool. But am I right in thinking people with apnea usually snore?

QUOTE: There is a direct link between reflux and breathing difficulties. It usually manifests itself as not being able to take a full breath and forcing yawns all day for me, but I have woken up many times thinking I can't breathe.

Is this right? Maybe my reflux is adding to my miseries after all.
    The widely accepted thought, that you need to snore to have sleep apnea is a common misconception, which I believed as well, until I started having suspicions that I suffer from this condition, and explored the topic extensively. Also, the correlation between sleep apnea, and breathing difficulties in general, and acid reflux conditions, is believed to be strong. From Web MD: "Some researchers believe that obstructive sleep apnea results in airway pressure changes that can cause reflux to occur, yet other researchers believe that the reflux of acids may result in spasms of the vocal cords that can then lead to sleep apnea."

Overall, you won't suffocate in your sleep, but if you do in fact suffer from nocturnal breathing difficulties, you should get a sleep study done, and take action (usually a mask). That stuff can shave years off your life, and is linked with many problems, especially cardiovascular and mental issues if it persists.

Well that's a jolly thought eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information