Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALS Scare

ALS Scare

I've been on this ALS scare for over three months. It all started with a dull back ache that usually comes about when I'm sitting down at work. Of course, I consulted google and instantly found twitching and ALS. Ever since then the twitching has been so bad. It's literally all over but predominantly in my calfs. I've spent too much money and time on this. I don't have any clinical weakness and apart from boney knees and my left palm looking smaller than my right I don't notice anything. The twitching is ruining me. I've seen a primary care doctor, a er room doctor and a neuro. All neurology tests were good (just basic neuro exams like stand on one foot, walk, etc). I know this is more than likely anxiety but I can't shake this fear. It keeps me from sleeping and I hate it. I hate the twitches. I'm currently on celexa and a vitamin d pill. if the twitching was related to ALS, would I have noticed weakness 3 1/2 months later? Help! I've been known to over react and have been to the doctor for a lot of things. I'm 22 and a male. I need more reassurance and a helpful way to rid myself of this fear. All my doctors and my twin brother look at me crazy...

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Last September I happened to fall in the woods while running. If it was foot drop from ALS would my foot still be unable to do daily activities? It's still sensitive every once in a while. I heard a story of a pitcher who got hit in the hand with a baseball and his hand never healed the same and he got ALS. Any correlation?! Someone help

Re: ALS Scare

I have had major ALS fears. It's a truly terrifying disease. I twitch all the time. It's normal to fall every once in a while especially from running. People that have ALS notice that cannot do every day tasks. Are you younger than 40? It is extremely rare to begin with but very very rare in people under 40.

I'm 22. I haven't fallen since then. My ankle healed weird and is stiff whenever I get up after bending down. I can still skateboard and stuff. If I land weird it'll hurt more than before. Just weird

No you are fine. Seriously you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning.

These calf twitches need to go!

Ok I've tried the thumb finger streath tests and I failed them. Now I'm worried! I've been worried I have ALS for a long while now. When I grip things I find it hard to do, my knuckles look very huge and boney but I have always had boney Hands though. I use my iPhone and iPad all the time so maybe I have RSI (repetive strain injury) when my thumb was twitching a lot I went to the hospital back in November and the doctor did some sterenth tests reflexes and then said I don't think you have ALS. And I had a sore whrist on my right hand it comes and goes. So I didn't use that hand a whole lot and used my left hand more and then I noticed my left thumb and whirtst getting sore and it harder to pick things up with. I'm trying to stay positive and be rational too. I'm freaking out though I failed the strength tests. Someone please help me here. Sorry for my misspelled words.

My middle finger hurts a lot with pressure (and no I haven't been sticking it up at people too often) and when I told my mum it was "too much time of that bloody ipad" .... RSI is likely, maybe even a bit of arthritis? X

Tinker, what test did you fail?

Tightening bottles up, I didn't get them very tight. I m not good at picking things up either

I forgot the tests were on that link. Don't do the tests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information