Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White patch/sore in mouth

White patch/sore in mouth

Hello
    Me again :(
    About 6 weeks ago my dentist said I had a white patch in my inner cheek, where it folds over my wisdom tooth really. It almost looks like a direct imprint of my tooth in my cheek. He told me to monitor it and call him if I was worried but that he thought it was leukoplakia but couldn't be sure. He said to contact him if it changed.

Today I thought it looked redder in the middle so decided to go to the gp. She had a look and said she can feel a bump when she feels inside my cheek so she has referred me using the two week referral, so I am worried its cancer :(

Re: White patch/sore in mouth

Hi. It could just be where the tooth is rubbing on your cheek. I think that dentists have more of an idea than doctors when it comes to things like this as thats what they do all day long and if it looked suspicious then your dentist would have referred you. I think that things like this very rarely turn out to be anything serious so try not to worry too much and at least you will get this checked out very soon.

This is a case where the doctors have found a symptom and have some concern, so you have every right to have some anxiety.

Be assured that it's very likely to be harmless, and that you are in the best possible hands.

I got the letter with my appointment for next weds. The letter freaked me out. It says two week cancer referral and says the purpose of the appointment is to exclude cancer and if it isn't cancer I will be referred back to the gp. I'm so worried it is. Am struggling to function.

Hi please try your best not to worry as it is very unlikely to be cancer, your dentist would have been your best option I would have thought as they spend all day checking not only teeth but your whole mouth for signs of disease, but your Dr is doing the best thing for your health and that's sending you for tests to ruleout oral cancer, yours is more likely to be from your tooth rubbing on the very soft tissue of your cheek.
    I went yesterday as I had what looked like an ulcer and it had been there a week,
    he said always best to check it out, guess what it was an ulcer.

Thank you. This has been a bad year for health issues! First I prolapsed some discs in my neck, then pneumonia and now this. It is just one thing after another and I'm struggling. I just am so scared now that the other things didn't amount to the bad things I thought they would so now this time my luck has run out ... I know this is irrational when I am in logical thinking mode, just wish logical thinking mode was my usual state!!!
    I keep looking at the pictures of oral cancer but they all look the same as ulcers etc

Worrying this evening....not feeling good :( nervous about weds and thinking thus is the end :(

Hi sorry you are feeling rough isn't this illness sh#t if it was bad woulldnt you have heard by now if it was something to worry about x

Haven't got any tests till Weds when I see the consultant at the rapid referral clinic so who knows :(

Thanks for your reply xxx

Hello, Fairy...hope you are feeling better about things. In the fall of 2013, my father had a white patch, very similar to what you describe, in his mouth. His doc also sent him for tests to rule out cancer. My dad has used tobacco products since he was 12 and he is 78 now. Guess what? It wasn't cancer! It was just an irritation of sorts. Apparently, mouth cancer is very rare. I think your wisdom tooth has irritated the lining in your mouth. Praying you get a good report when you go for tests and that between now and then you will experience peace. Blessings!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information