Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i ever develop a career?

Can i ever develop a career?

Having experienced panic attaks from adolescence i have grown up thinking surviving in any job would be difficult because i panic particularly when people watch me. eg. my hands turn to led if someone hands me a cup of tea and i'm lucky if i can accept it without dropping the cup or spilling the content as i'm in a state of panic. This makes the simplest of tasks difficult.

So why in a moment of sheer deluded self belief i decided to become a student nurse i have no idea. My first two weeks of hospital placement have involved me running a mile the minute i think i'll be asked to perform any sort of 'hands on' task. I'm upset because i want so badly to be 'normal' and to become a nurse, but how will i ever succeed when i am ruled by terror and fear of being seen having a panic attak?

Please tell me what sort of jobs and occupations other people with panic attaks manage to do? I am so close to quitting because i feel so scared of being seen and being embarrassed by the panic. Are there any panicky people out there who have become nurses?

Janey (in despair)

Hi Janey

There is nothing stopping you at all having a career, I hope we can help you overcome your fear, you are a surviour hun, so be proud of that!

Lots of people with anxiety/panic have careers, i myself suffering with Agorophobia, spent 2 years at night school and managed to get a degree in Health and Social Care, im hoping in the near future i can furthur my career in the NHS.
    You say you have been doing the work placement for 2 weeks, i remember doing my first few weeks at my work placement also, i nearly gave in, it was so hard coping with the panic, but im glad i stuck it out as things got alot easier, i geuss its like exposure, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Be proud of what you have acheived so far hun !

Hugs

Andrea
    xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

starting anything new is scary, youve done really well to be there for 2 weeks. i'm a teacher, and its great. i feel cos i have anxiety problems i can empathise with the kids who are experiencing problems. you will know as a nurse how scary hospitals can be, you'll be able to help people overcome their fear because you know how fear works. hope you can stick with it,
    tc xxxxxx

Hi Janey,

Stick with it... you've only been there two weeks and its your first placement. Its very early days and even if you werent suffering from panic it would still be difficult getting used to the environment, the people, your new role, the patients, equipment, routines etc. I remember it well (i spent most of my time terrified) but I got threre and went on and did midwifery as well.

In actual fact anxiety and panic really started for me me when I had just started nursing (though that wasnt the cause lol!). I had a few hiccups along the way but I got there in the end and so will you I'm sure.

Is there anyone who can support you and help you develop coping strategies with this? Do the college know how you suffer?

I think youre doing just great....after all this is probably a very alien experience to you just now.

Take care and lots of lucck and positive vibes!

Coni X

hello.
    I am 29 and have suffered with panic and agoraphobia. I left uni before i finished my course and have walked out of too many jobs to mention here. I now have a full time job and have been there for 2 years!!! Still every day i believe will be my last. I earn minimum wage and the job offers no career progression unless you willing to work 100 hours a week for free!
    My point is if i had ever talked to anyone i may not be in this position now. I was so afraid of peoples reactions i told no one and i am sure that made my situation worse.
    To hide your true feelings is no way to live. If i could do my time over i would tell everyone and hopefully avoid some very dark places i have been to. Please don't suffer in silence. Uni's are very aware of this now and have lots of help in place. Take care x

Gem

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your stories. I am always moved when reading them. Your support gives me confidence and the knowledge that when i'm having a panicky time i'm not alone anymore. Got me thinking maybe i shouldn't try to hide who i am and maybe its time to do some more talking and seek support from the uni. Until now i've been too afraid. Thanx...

Janey

Hi Janey,
    I am just starting out as a teacher. I am supply teaching until I find a full time job. I never thought I could handle it. I still wonder if one day I will just not be able to do it anymore. I worry about this constantly, which only makes the anxiety worse. I am so afraid that I will have a panic attack in the class and I feel stuck because you can't just leave a class unattended. Supply teaching is even harder because you are always dealing with a new school, full of new teachers and students. It can be scary. Even though I have all these doubts I make it through everyday. If I feel anxious in class I try to distract myself so I am not thinking about it and that usually works. I have my good days and bad days. I just can't wait for the day I have my own class, but even then I worry about being able to cope with full time. I guess my point (after going on and on - sorry) is that we all have doubt. We just need to push ourselves to do the things that we fear. Each day in the ckassroom gives me more confidence. Just as each day in your career as a nurse will give you more confidence. You can do it. Please don't give up. I am here if you need to talk. We can help each other.
    Take care,
    Michelle

Smile Re: Can i ever develop a career?

yes i know how you feel just starting up on my own and its very frightning. so i think everyone who has panic attacks or anxiety think the same as you. but remember its all wot if's. thats what i tell my self.
    what if i have that panic attack
    what if i look silly
    what if i cry and so the list goes on. but it will be ok.
    thats what i tell myself even tough it doesnt stop me worrying.
    we can all beat it. karen

Re: Can i ever develop a career?

janey...i think its great that you have put yourself in position to get over your fears...

i promise you, just keep doing it, and you will find that the fear and anxiety will dissipate...

Re: Can i ever develop a career?

Janey,

Bless you! You can definately have a career...I've suffered many years but now I run my own company. Admittedly this can almost be seen as a "get-out" and going to interviews now would almost certainly make me worry.

But, when you are in your "zone", your place where you know what you are talking about, in your field of work, it actually gives you shelter from the anxiety because you feel you are in control and have a purpose to be there, and a subject to talk about, and it actually gives you confidence!

You can do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information