Thread: Blood in phlegm ...very worried

Unhappy Blood in phlegm ...very worried

Hello everyone. Newbie here. Firstly i apologise for the long post.
    I hope someone can help me or put things in perspective for me. When I woke up this morning I cleared my throat and I noticed a glob of bright coloured blood in my phlegm. This has set me into a panic as my worst fear is the big 'C'. Last night when I lied in bed one of my nostrils was very blocked and I don't know if this could have caused the blood in the morning because when I blew my nose this morning there was a very tiny drop of blood on the tissue. I do not have a cold or sore throat so I am at my wits end.

I am an ex smoker and quit 5 months ago so I hope my old habit is not coming back to haunt me.

This has happened to me several times in the past but there was only streaks of blood. I had a chest xray about 2 years ago when I had these episodes and it was clear. I also had a cardiac ct scan late last year and my doctor said that scan also checked my lungs and again it was clear.

What could have caused me to bring up this glob of blood? Could a blocked nostril do this? I should also mention that I have had no blood come up again after this mornings episode.

Please help. Thank you

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: Blood in phlegm ...very worried

I'm afraid we are not Drs on NMP. I appreciate that you are worried but your best bet is to see a Dr who can diagnose your problem ( if there is one)

Good luck

Sarah

Thank you Sarah for your reply. I understand this and i will be seeing my dr. Unfortunately he is not available till next week. I am just hoping that in the meantime members of this forum who may have had something similar to this would be able to give me some peace of mind until i see him..

Hi Lala1
    I have had exactly the same, even had a little bit of blood on my pillow case. I was constantly clearing my throat and coughing to check for blood! On quite a few occasions there was bright pink blood mixed in. I went to the docs quite a few times and eventually had camera down my throat and a biopsy taken. It turned out I had barretts syndrome which had caused it. It's cleared up now and I don't have any blood now. I am also an ex smoker so worried about the Big C but it wasn't. Please try not to worry, I definitely think it's connected to your nose being blocked. If it were your lungs you would have a terrible cough and would be constantly bringing up blood. You will be fine, take care xx

I had this same worry a few months ago, I still get it occasionally, and it still scares me when it happens, but I wouldn't worry too much, its probably just a blood vessel or something.x

Similar as others, I'm not a doctor, but blood in phlegm can come from a lot of different reasons. Dry air or aggrivated sinuses seem like likely scenarios. Observe for a week and if it persists, visit a doctor. Or do it sooner, as I said, don't listen to me, I'm not a doctor.

hi not sure how to post so just wanted to ask if anyone found out the cause of coughing blood i had a very bad viris and the worse cough ever just clearing my throat now but seen blood the last 3 morning anyone any idea why thank you for any replys or if anyone had this did they find out the cause of the blood

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

oh forgot to say still got a bit of a cough but not bad now x

Thread Information