Thread: So I don't have optic neuritis!

So I don't have optic neuritis!

Six weeks ago I started to notice this black speck in my vision, that wasn't a floater as it didn't float. I was also getting flashes and one eye brighter than the other. Being the MS hypo that I am I started to wonder about optic neuritis. I left it six weeks, resisting getting it checked as I know I have HA. Then suddenly yesterday I started to getting eye socket pain, and pain when moving the eye.

I was utterly convinced it was ON, and took myself off to the eye hospital this morning.

I was honest about my symptoms and didn't voice my suspicions. The consultant did loads of tests and eventually told me it could be one of a number of things, none of which are anything to worry about and I'd need further investigation to pin it down, or it might go away by itself. At this point I explained that because of various other symptoms I was worried about MS, and asked if it could be optic neuritis. The doctor's response was "absolutely not", as my clinical presentation was all wrong as were my symptoms.

I guess this is a lesson for me and hopefully one or two others reading this at some point: you can be convinced beyond all doubt based on google that you have something, but to a doctor with actual medical training and years of experience the same set of symptoms point somewhere completely different.

Re: So I don't have optic neuritis!

Was all this the result of Google? I have no sympathy lol! But i'm happy for you that all is clear.

ISB x

Well I do have a genuine issue in my defence, just not the one I assumed I had! The problem was that whilst I know the dangers of googling some of the info that led me to assume I had it was from old threads on here and AZ. When posts on here of all places led me to believe I could conceivably have it off I went to consult Dr. Google!

Ahh, but I bet the posts on here from people who mentioned the condition were people who had googled their symptoms in the first place...and so it goes on But yes, reading your post again, you now have to pinpoint what it could be so I get your point about you having a genuine issue. At least whatever it is you've been reassured that its nothing serious anyway, so that's good.

ISB x

Honestly I'd have still been over the moon if she said I was going blind but don't have ON.

And the post that really messed me up was that of someone on the other forum who turned out to actually have it!

Really? How awful. So even more good news that you don't have it then.

ISB x

Can't believe I posted this only an hour and a bit ago, I'm starting to doubt the doc now. Oh the joys of health anxiety!

Thread Information