Thread: The Inbetween

The Inbetween

On the whole I don't feel anxious mentally. But I get the anxiety paints literally constantly for years. So whilst 90% of the time I don't feel anxious about my pains it's safe to assume the other 10% is keeping the fight or flight ticking over and my body wracked with pain.

I know I shouldn't feel happier when I'm not in pain. If i'm happy in those circumstances i'm rewarding my body with endorphins which may very well keep the pains going on continually because my brain/body wants the reward inbetween feeling pain free...who knows?

What I do know is that the times when anxiety and pains are at their lowest, depression hits me like a freight train. I guess it's the icing on the cake really. Not had any luck with anxiety medications. Benzos only work for 2 hours or so and never fully eradicate the pains. The only thing that does literally numb the pain entirely is alcohol. But obviously I can't rely on that. Baths help as well, but as soon as i'm out of the hot water the pains come back.

Has anyone ever been prescribed a muscle relaxant? I think that's the property in alcohol which is having such a calming effect on my muscles. But i'm not sure if there's any non-addictive medications available because my quality of life would be greatly improved if I wasn't feeling pain constantly.

Ed

Re: The Inbetween

Wow that sounds incredibly horrible. Constant pain, or depression, unless you're drinking. I would agree that becoming an alcoholic is not a good option.

Can you go to see a doctor about this? If it's anxiety pain, how much is a pill really going to help? Is there another way of dealing with this?

I do need to book another appointment with my GP. On the whole they listen but constantly refer back to SSRI's or their dictionaries of medication and what to prescribe me. I don't think any of them fully understand. I really do try and push the fact to them that i'm in pain every moment of every day. Perhaps that sounds melodramatic or unrealistic to them. I don't wish to go down the route of thinking this is anything other than anxiety. I've read about fibro and the stories of people with anxiety. Nearly every tale i've read was that disorder paired with anxiety and depression and I think to myself that anxiety is probably the sole cause.

A friend recommended an anxiety book written by a Dr who associates these pains with anxiety and his tips to overcome it. Being shipped from US though so it'll be a week or 2 until I receive it. Seems that most anxiety self help books revolve around meditation and acceptance that it's anxiety. I know it'll take daily dedication and practice. For now though accepting the pains and going about my day to day in spite of the pains isn't enough. They hurt too much and the days are too long.

Ed

Ive also heard that Fibromyalgia can be stress/anxiety related too, and the pain can be felt in various parts of the body..poor you. Have you ever suggested this to your doc?

ISB x

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

In the meantime, while you try to find something to help fight it, massage is highly recomended to ease the pain of fibro'

Thread Information