Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am going to ruin my christmas again

Jem27 Guest

I am going to ruin my christmas again

I just know it, im worrying myself sick about this hiv thing again. I had a negative HIV result only 3 weeks ago. 6 weeks after I aparently slept with someone with no protection. I am not proud of getting so drunk and behaving like that, I have no memory of it, I was having some problems at home and went out with my friends and that happened.

My dr told me a negative result at 6 weeks is accurate and no need to re test. Me being stupid im doubting it now thinking I should of insisted on waiting until 3 months. I told my dr id read its 3 months and he said 6 weeks is fine. I know I should trust him, I do deep down but this anxiety is eating away at me.

This man is fine, doesnt sleep around but I don't know if his ex partner did do I?and im now really doubting my test result.

My home life is now great, I have 3 fab children and a loving husband, we are putting the past behind us and he has now started to put me first instead of work. I don't want to ruin christmas like I do every year worrying.

Can anyone give me some words of reassurance? I have considered googling if 6 week tests are accurate but I know I will find something to upset myself and I really do not want to do that.

Sorry to post again:(

Hi Jem
    Boy are you getting in a bit of a twist...it's what we do well!! Negative worry thoughts are most certainly our demons, recognising that is half the battle.

In some way you need to trust your Doc. I fel there may be some guilt that is persecuting how you are feeling and therefore making things worse for you.

You say your homelife is great and both of you are working on getting it right. In some way you need to focus on that and try to build on through what is always a difficult period.

Biggest advice I can give....dont google!!

Take care Jem

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hi, instead of googling have you considered seeing another doctor, just to put your mind at rest. My instinct tells me he wouldn't tell you 6 weeks was fine if it wasn't.

Jo

Awww Jem, your doctor wouldn't have told you a test at 6 weeks were accurate if it wasn't, it's your anxiety and probably guilt getting the better of you.

Try to relax, believe what your doctor has told you, and move on. It wont be easy, and will take a while, but it can be done.

Kate x

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

Jem27 Guest
    Thank you both.

He is my dr and I have a very good relationship with him. I am seeing him this week to change my iron tablets but I know if I question him about this he will give a right telling off, he said I had to trust the result when I got it.

Yes there is alot of guilt but my husband has been fantastic, we were in a real bad place at the time, spark had gone and having a few problems. Everything is working out now but my health anxiety is taking over again:-(

Jem27 Guest
    Thanks Kate,

I am so tempted to google on NHS or patient.co.uk to see if it says 6 weeks is ok, they are the sites ive seen my GP go on.

Oh Jem,
    I understand where you are coming from but Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaase try to take your doc at his word.
    I slept with a stranger (well we did introduce ourselves to each other!) when I was 19. For 11 years I tortured myself about HIV. I wouldn't go for a test. I wouldn't sleep with anyone without protection until my present partner and then worried I'd given him it.
    Eventually I got a test and laid that anxiety to rest. I wish I'd had the guts to do it 11 years earlier. So you are brave, and well done for getting the test. Please enjoy your christmas.

Happyone
    x

hI I've had the fear of aids sinse i was 10yrs old i am now 30, so i no were your cuming from, i,ve not had a test but my parnter had 1 when she had our baby at that time it didnt cross my mind if i had aids, it was clear, i've been unfaihfull in the past thats when it kicked in hard guilt that you mite of passed it on to your partner, i woudnt go 4 a test i,m not brave enough, But going 4 a test is a good thing 2 do but your also giving into your compulsion bye going 4 it. Check out the aids sites i did it makes you understand more about it. k..[8)]

Hi Jem,

I assume you really want to know the facts so here they are. Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies between 6 to 12 weeks of infection. In very rare cases it can take up to 6 months. Getting tested earlier than 3 months may result in an unclear test result, as an infected person may not yet have developed antibodies to HIV. The time between infection and the development of antibodies is called the window period. Where I did my research for you it also suggests to be retested again at 6 months to be sure and that is if you have not been sharing needles or been having unprotected sex again. Also, needless to say if between those 6 months your health declines in any way please see your doctor. It does however state that many many people worry needlessly that they do have HIV but having the test can put your mind to rest. I hope stating the facts have not put you in more of a worse state that has not been my intention. I just know if it was me I would want to know the facts. Personally, I think you will be okay. If it were me, I would just be retested in 6 months if your doctor will even do it, if not I think you can buy over the counter tests, not sure if you can in the UK.

In the meantime, there is nothing you can do more about it now. You have been tested, the facts state that at 6 weeks it will show negative or positive. Your doctor is behind the research in this. Your marriage is back on track. I would try to put this behind me and focus on the good things, otherwise you could ruin the good that you have gotten back. I know it is easy to say and hard to do, believe me, but try. (call me Mrs. Worrywort) If you ever need to talk, please pm me.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

Jem27 Guest
    Thank you all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information