Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swollen lymph glands

I can also relate to having the fear of wasting away but my scales tell me otherwise!!!!!!!!!!
    My glands may have always been swollen or they may just be normal to me ( about pea size and more rubbery than hard). Im a staff nurse so you can imagine all the viruses etc I am exposed to ( you would think I would know better being a nurse for years..but my councellor reckons we are the worse for HA). I have found them recently because Ive been looking not because they are causing me any problems, anyway Im not worried about it today it will be something else soonno doubt:(

You are brave tigerlily to do your job! My whole family are nurses, but I know I would be exactly the same if I went into nursing. We should think of it as strengthening our immune systems, really!

Bump up! Any more lymph gland swellers?!

mine are swollen in my armpit and above the bone that goes across my front to my shoulder clavicle i think its called.

i wont be any help to you tho as im convinced i am dying of cancer and i doubt anything anyone says will convince me otherwise. Im so depressed at the moment im pretty much beyond caring tho .

bb natty

Natty

I know exactly how you feel right now and I guess there are many others who feel the same way. Maybe there isn't anything anyone can say to help relieve your anxiety at the moment but please believe me when I say that I have suffered with swollen nodes/glands for many years and it is NOT indicative of you having something nasty that you are going to die of. There has probably been many many times in the past your nodes have been up and you've never realised cos you never went feeling around ! You know, mine swell up at times when I'm hot believe it or not. I used to play top flight Rugby Union for my City and was physically very fit. After most matches and nearly all training sessions I had swellings in my armpits and always in my groin. They were so sore at times I used a aneasthetic cream on them just so I could walk !! Nodes come up for loads of reasons, more often than not for a common cold. Thats what they do.

The first time my AA started I had no lumps in my pits but kept rubbing and prodding every 10 minutes or so for days on end. My Mrs said she felt she was living with a modern day Nelson ! Anyway after days of rubbing and prodding I found my lump and showed it to a Dr at A&E one afternoon. She gave it a good feel and a prod and said it was a cyst/boil which we all know are brought on my been run down and stressed. Sure enough after a hot bath and a squeeze it went.

You would have so many more and probably worse symptoms if anything really nasty was going on. Go and see your Dr again and explain how you feel and why and if it's for the hundreth time it doesn't matter a toss mate cos that's their job, that's why they do the job they choose and that's why they are paid the money they get. If you feel that you're GP doesn't take you seriously then quit that surgery and find another with a better "bedside manner". I did.

Take it easy.

Dex

Quick update for you all! Have seen numerous docs about my lymph glands now, all of whom have said they are nothing to worry about. Including the emergency GP on New Year's Day, who said, in fact, that he couldn't feel any swollen glands, and that what I could feel weer perfectly normal glands, that felt big because I am so skinny. Ahem. ooops. I feel a bit stupid now, but as we all know, the worry is still there... Have been referred to ENT dpet for lots of things, so I am confident that they will be able to tell me to stop being so daft and put my mind at ease. Am also going to go on Anti depressants, I think, as now I am crying all the time. Apart from all that, though, I feel fine! Hope you all had good festive season.

Natty, can I advise you see your doctor for reassurance, and for help with your depression - it's terrible that you feel that way.

Hi thanks for the reasurrance

I am booked to have an ultrasound on the lump thats in my breast , i am very scared , i fought visiting the Dr about it for months i found it in august and it took me till december to show it to the GP she reffered me to the breast clinic , i went that Dr saw it reassured me it was likely nothing but then booked me in for an ultrasound on it ( thats tommorow) . Even tho i know the Drs have done the right thing and that if they hadnt i would be sat her complaining that maybe they got it wrong , i still feel anxious that they are making me have further checkup because the anxiety part of me says maybe they do think its something thats why they reffered me . its daft i know . i have never mentioned the lymph nodes to the Dr because secretly im worried its a relevant sympton even tho sensibly i know that the chances of me being fatally sick are sooo low . I came off the antidepressants a couple of months ago , they worked quite well but i was suffering from extreme fatigue and was having to take naps every 3 hours for 2 hours at a time and then being unable to sleep properly at night. I hoped that if i napped less in the day id sleep better at night but alas this has not been the case and i rarely if ever fall asleep before 4 am and usually sleep till 12 midday. I am so utterly confused , i have a horrible fear of having cancer ( which i expect is completly normal , i mean who wouldnt fear it ) but lately i seem to be obsessed . My symptons are real however i have poor blance extreme fatigue weak leg muscles stomach problems , hallucinations and back pain , of course these could all be anxiety related but im so exhausted with trying to ignore my feelings , i havent even worked out how im going to be getting to my appointment tomorow and i worried ill panic and not go . its all such a mess but deep down i am sure im being foolish , its like i have a split personality one says im fine stop being a twit and the other that says no these are symptons of something other than anxiety and should be checked .

sorry for ranting i just want some peace for once instead of this constant 24/7 worry.

bb natty

Hello Natty,
    Well I am glad you have been to the doctor and they have referred you - that's good. I would mention the lymph glands when you have the ultrasound, as they could ultrasound them at the same time! Are you living in Uruguay? It's funny to think of you having the same stress as us in the UK - you don't think other cultures would have the same worries. Your breast lump could be anything - my Mum had lots of cysts in her breasts, which caused her glands to swell. Let us know what happens. have you spoken to the doctor about your depression?

Hello Natty - have just realised that Uruguay is next to the UK on the scorll down list - did you just enter the wrong one?! That has made me chuckle, I must admit!

yup i guess thats how it happened , i didnt notice for ages but then i thought hey what a good way for an agrophobic to get out and about , the weather is much better over here

bb natty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information