Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I seem to be getting better

I seem to be getting better

I've had severe depression, generalised anxiety and panic attacks for 4 years. Going on 'The House of Agorophobics' definition of agorophobia- not a fear of going outside or of open spaces necessarily, but the fear of having a panic attack preventing you from living a normal life- it seems like I suffer from that too. I have barely left my home town in months and I have a strong phobia of being too far away from home.

Probably over about the last month I have been feeling like I have been progressing and that my symptoms aren't ebbing and flowing so much with good days and bad days, but more that I have been having a string of good days. I've barely been using rescue remedy, I haven't had any full blown panic attacks in quite a while, I've been feeling more real and I've even felt pretty comfortable driving on faster roads. Physically I don't feel as tense either. However, I do still feel in 'the zone', where stress could fairly easily make me feel anxious again.

I really wanted to write for myself, to be able to look back on my recovery, and for other people to gain some understanding of what it feels like to be getting better. Don't get me wrong, it feels like I'm getting better, although it's by no means a certainty. It feels like I'm slowly unwinding, relaxing, accepting the world and myself, understanding my illness(es) and wanting to get out there and do things!!

It's no coincidence that I've got a great job lined up in the new year, I'm developing as a football coach with formal qualifications (which is a great back up plan) and I no longer have the conflict of a relationship, instead I'm working on friendships. I really have been working really, really hard to get better (going to the gym, volunteering, nurturing friendships, reading self-help books, undergoing cbt and proactively trying to change my thoughts, attitudes and behaviours). It's taken sooooooooo long, but it finally feels like things are paying off for me.

I'm concerned about having a relapse, as I've suffered from depression for most of my life and I've had panic attacks (without knowing what they were). On the positive side, I have so much more understanding of the illness now and I realise the importance of relaxation. I also feel like my career is finally taking off (a major cause of my anxiety and depression), I'm developing friendships/interests and I no longer feel dependent on another person for a relationship to make me feel valid. I'm perfectly happy being single.

Next year, I will be seeing a psychologist for cbt and I'm going to continue to read self-help books, as i really want to feel confident enough to do whatever I want to do, whether it's travelling, new challenges, moving home...whatever, without feeling inhibited and paralysed by fear and anxiety.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Im really pleased for you W.I.F.T.S
    its really encouraging to read your story. It sounds as tho 2007 is going to be a a good year for you. I sincerely hope so.

Take care
    LYNNxx

Hi Simon

Its really great to hear how well you are doing. WELL DONE.

You must be soooo proud of yourself, all your hard work has paid off. [^]

MERRY CHRISTAMS and may the new year bring you lots and lots of happiness and good health.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Fear is the darkroom
    where negatives are developed.....

When you fear something,
    learn as much about it as you can.
    Knowledge conqers fear...

Hi Simon,

Its great to hear things are really looking up for you!!!

Keep looking forward at your positive future!!

Good Luck and well done!!!

Caz xx

Hi Simon,

A big well done. Good to know your doing well keep it up.

Take Care

Mandyxx

hi simon

i love to read stories of hope and inspiration and yours certainly done that for me.

im currently working along a similar path to yours and we seem to be at the same stage - i wish you well and im so glad things are changing for you.

Take care

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

That made really good reading hun - well done and thanks for giving encouragement to the rest of us

Happy Christmas mate!

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Really good news Simon - you deserve it!

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Fee xxxxxx
    www.like2like.com

Why live life anticipating the bad things when you could be anticipating the good?
    Good and bad things WILL happen!

Just want to congratulate you si. You keep at it take care im pleased your enjoying your new job. let me know how your football goes

Merry Christmas mate

Bobsy

Well Done Simon and Good Luck for the New Job in the New Year!
    All the Best xxxxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information