Thread: Liver or muscular?

Liver or muscular?

Hi All,
    I've been getting a pain in the upper right side of my abdomen now for a few days, sort of underneath my ribcage. I'm worried that it may be indicative of a problem with my liver or gall bladder. The pain is quite mild and lasts for a few seconds. It seems to ease if i stretch. I suppose this suggests that it is probably muscular and due to poor posture or anxiety. However i had some liver function tests done earlier in the year. . Everthing was normal except for elevations of ALT and AST. This was put down to too much alcohol. [:P]. I cut right back for a couple of weeks, had the tests repeated and the levels had dropped back to almost normal levels. (I suppose if there was a problem they would not have dropped...? ....And if there was a serious problem i would know about it by now...things would have degenerated somewhat in the six months since the last test?). I don't have any other "Liver" symptoms except for this intermittent pain. Can anybody reassure me please? I'm too scared to have the tests repeated again!

Thanks,

CW

"Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we could learn to dance on a moving carpet." - Anon

Hi CW
    I am constantly plagued with aches/pains in exactly this area and have the same fears as you do, for the same reasons ! I often get pain in my back and right shoulder too, which I have read can be conected to Liver issues. However, as far as I know pain from the Liver itself, is not usually felt, as the Liver itself doesn't have many nerves in it. You will only get pain if the Liver is enlarged and pushing on other organs/muscles.
    Regards
    Dave

Hi CW,have you been drinking recently.When my Brother has been drinking,he has liver pain.It could well be tension.

Ellen XX

Hello,
    I had this exact same problem and had all the tests done for liver/gall bladder etc. Finally, the doctor told me that the pain is probably muscular. For me, the pain was exactly over the edges of my ribs - exactly where the muscles join the ribs, in fact. He explained that when I was tense, the muscles were contracting and over time were becoming painful and pulling on the rib. He said that normal pain killers probably wouldn't help. I ahve also been diaagnosed with a trapped intercostal nerve - the nerv runs through the muscles moving the ribs. When you are tense, the muscles contract, trapping the nerve slightly and causing pain. When you change posture, you relieve tension on the nerve and the pain goes away.

Hope all this helps!

Hi everyone,

Thankyou for the prompt replies. The pain has started to ease today(hmmm wonder if that's because anxiety is causing it and i'm starting to relax?)
    Deve, thanks for that information, i wasn't aware of that and this reassures me somewhat.
    Ellen, i have had the odd social drink recently, but have kept well below the weekly recommended level of 21 units ever since i had the elevated enzymes. Like you say, it's probably tension.
    Seeker, this sounds exactly like the pain i have been having. The fact that it eases when i stretch suggests it probably is muscular.

Oh well, guess this is another of anxiety's delightful physical manifestations. Looks like it's fooled me again!

Thanks again.

CW

x

"Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we could learn to dance on a moving carpet." - Anon

Thread Information