Thread: Feeling depressed and anxious

Feeling depressed and anxious

I have manic depression and anxiety, had it for the last 2 years and use to just have the odd panic attack after going on medication, however the last 4 or 5 months I suffered a big anxiety spell, I could not go out the house as I got really worried there was something wrong with me and i felt all funny, dull vision, dizzy and i kept worrying, but I got over that a bit and now I can get out a bit more now but over the last 2 weeks or so I have been feeling really depressed, sometimes I can't be bothered with things and I worry constantly that I have forgotten to take my medication or that i am going to die or something...

I get worried as when I feel really depressed I go off my food so can't eat much and my energy goes low so I get more anxious :(, I would just like to feel normal again...I am seeing a therapist for my anxiety and they have told me some breathing exercise to do which I don't feel has helped much.

It's just been the last few months I have been feeling more anxious that it has stopped me doing things is this normal? I get worried when I can't be bothered with things as i think i won’t be normal again...I can't think of anything that’s triggered my increased anxiety, I did lose my job about 2 weeks ago so I find myself bored in the house and only really go out at night with my g.f.

Can anybody offer any help? I am fed up of the whole anxiety and feeling down thing and just want to be normal again.

Hi Phil,

A big warm welcome to you. Everyone here is lovely and you will realise you are not alone.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Hi Phil,

Welcome to NMP.
    Sorry you are feeling rough. Have you been diagnosed as bipolar? Are you still taking meds? If you are then perhaps a change of meds would help, sometimes anti-d's 'poop out' and you need a change. Hope you can get something sorted.

Nel xxx

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Phil,

Welcome to NMP.
    Sorry you are feeling rough. Have you been diagnosed as bipolar? Are you still taking meds? If you are then perhaps a change of meds would help, sometimes anti-d's 'poop out' and you need a change. Hope you can get something sorted.

Nel xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by Nel - 29 December 2006 : 12:17:52</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Yep I have been diagnosed, been on medication for a 2 years, would be a bit worried about changing medication...thanks for the replies so far.

Hi phil,

Welcome to the forum.I cant offer any words of advice at the minute cos i too am feeling crap but just wanted to let you know you werent alone.

Take care,Candie xx

Welcome phil,you are not alone.there is lots of support here and advise.

Ellen XX

Hi Phil,

You're certainly not alone I assure you. Nel is correct in telling you that your current meds may not have the same potency. Also, your therapist shows a lack of understanding by simply advising you to take breathing exercises. Whilst these are beneficial, there is more to dealing with the problem than just taking deep breaths / breathing in a paper bag. The fact that you're talking to a therapist is a step in the right direction as is registering on a forum such as this.

If you don't mind, could you let us know what medication you're on ? Switching meds is not neccessarily all doom & gloom, indeed, you might find yourself suited to a change in regime. I hope you're feeling better soon anyway & please let the forum know of your progress.

I was on 1mg of resperdal in the morning and one at night, but i got cut back to 0.5mg about a year ago and I take one in the morning and one at night so 1mg per day. I also take propranolol for the anxiety, 10mg in the morning, 10mg at lunch and 10mg in the evening.

The doctor spoke about putting me on prozac or something if the theropy does not work...this would mean I would have to come off all the other meds.

I am trying to think more positive but find it hard and I tend to worrying about stupid things...I really don't want to go on other meds which is why I want the theopy to work.

Although it's probably of little comfort, it is good that you're not so reliant on your medication. A lot of people I've spoke to are so dependant on the tablets, they daren't & won't let themselves miss a tablet. I don't blame you for not wanting to switch meds, but try to emphasis to your therapist how important it is to you that therapy works. This is of course a two-way street. You really do have to trust them with everything & not hold anything back. At one stage I was almost driven to thinking that religion would be my saviour, basically thinking I needed to cleanse my soul or something. What I needed & what I found was that I actually needed to unburden myself. I told my wife & close friends exactly what I was going through & the relief was almost instant. Whereas I felt weak & ashamed, I immediately felt stronger because I knew I had the support of those that I loved. Like the old adage goes, "a problem shared is a problem halved".

I'm not completely there yet, but there is no doubt in my mind that I will be. I think that the fact I was considering religion (no offence anyone), shows how desperate I was !

Thread Information