Thread: Slow heart rate again

Slow heart rate again

Today I took my BP and pulse upon waking up, as usual. In the first reading my heart rate was 46 bpm. I measured it two more times right after and it was 62 bpm and 58 bpm, respectively. It's the third time that a similar situation happens in a timespan of about two or three weeks. I'm not sure anymore whether these are errors in the reading or not.
    The patient information leaflet of the beta-blocker that I'm taking says that the dose must be decreased if the resting heart rate goes below 50-55 bpm.
    I'm getting worried. I've never had such slow heart rates before (except during sleep). Can daily physical exercise, diet and weight loss combined with the beta-blocker be causing this? Apparently, the more fit one gets, the lower one's heart rate is.
    I've tried to reduce the dose to a quarter of a pill (I'm on a half now) but I experienced a tachycardia two days after. I don't know whether it was caused by the dose reduction or by the extreme state of anxiety I was in due to a friend of mine who is a medical student having told me the night before that beta-blockers could cause hyperkalemia (a serious condition).
    I don't know what to do. An appointment with the cardiologist who prescribed me the beta-blocker would require a rather long waiting time (about a month). The only option left is to see my GP/family doctor by scheduling an emergency appointment. Should I do it?

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Anyone? Would you schedule an emergency appointment with your GP to clear things up? I'm imagining his frowning face when he sees me again, like "there comes the heart maniac again"...
    Last edited by Junot; 13-10-14 at 11:46.

Re: Slow heart rate again

I would contact the GP, maybe not as an emergency necessarily, can you not ring and either ask for a telephone consultation or just let them know and they could ring back?

What diagnosis do you have to take the beta blocker? I am on Bisoprolol and Nicorandil for inappropriate sinus tachycardia and coronary artery spasm, I try not to read the information leaflets too much or I would never take them!

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitmuncher View Post
    I would contact the GP, maybe not as an emergency necessarily, can you not ring and either ask for a telephone consultation or just let them know and they could ring back?

What diagnosis do you have to take the beta blocker? I am on Bisoprolol and Nicorandil for inappropriate sinus tachycardia and coronary artery spasm, I try not to read the information leaflets too much or I would never take them!
    Thanks for your reply. I can call them anytime and ask for a telephone consultation but my GP/family doctor doesn't like it much. He's a bit grumpy. Anyway, as you suggested, I've just called them and have been told that he's not in office anymore and won't come back today. I will see him in person tomorrow.

As to the beta-blocker (nebivolol, branded as Hypoloc) prescribed by the cardiologist, I'm taking it because I used to have quite easily anxiety/panic-related episodes of tachycardia. My resting heart rate used to be relatively high as well, in the 80s/90s.

So, I'm back from the doctor. And this morning when I woke up my pulse was again at a low rate (40 bpm). I measured it three more times in a row. It went up to the 60s, then down to the 40s once again and finally up to the 70s.

I've told my GP everything that has happened these last days/weeks. He took my BP/heart rate and it couldn't be better, even though I was feeling as if I was about to pass out at any moment (chest pressure and discomfort, shortness of breath, dizziness, etc.).

He thinks the BP monitor I'm using is giving incorrect readings. According to him wrist monitors are far from reliable and the brand itself that I'm using is not very trustworthy (Panasonic). He says Omron is the most reliable. With respect to the beta-blocker he told me to keep taking it and gave me a prescription of bromazepam in doses of 3 mg to help me relax if the symptoms get too extreme (up to 2 pills per day) until I see the psychiatrist on October 23. As for the rest, he told me not to check my BP/heart rate unless I feel unwell. First, because I don't have any medical indication to check it; second, because that will only add to my anxiety.

I'm a bit calmer now but still worried because I don't know whether my monitor has been giving correct or incorrect readings...
    Last edited by Junot; 14-10-14 at 14:05.

Do yourself a favor and throw it away. It's just feeding your anxiety sugar. Your doctor is right and your heart is FINE!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information