Thread: breathless??

breathless??

hiya people

hope christmas was ok for u all, for about a week i have been feeling breathless on and off only for a bit and when i breath i feel like i cant get enough air in my lungs then im always yawning. i have had sinus probs and feel like i gotta cold maybe its this, i dont feel ill though just a bunged up.

i have had no symptoms what so ever apart from this, but today im worring about it. maybe its just anxiety, does any1 else get this?

leanne xx

i just wanna feel normal

Hi Leanne,
    I read about this under the 5 Steps in the forum. I thought this might help. The second paragraph might help explain what you are feeling.

Breathing - Learn to breathe from your diaphragm, your tummy should rise and fall with your breath as well as your chest. Ensure your out breath is longer than the in one. A count of 4 in – 6 out is great. Use this as soon as you feel panic rising. Alternatively, if you find this difficult hold your breath for a few seconds. This resolves the dizzy feeling.

Some people hyperventilate ie breathe too fast or too shallowly upsetting the natural mix of the gases in your bloods leaving you with dizzy and pins and needles feelings. There are other people who do the reverse and inadvertently reduce their breathing rate and sort of hold their breath. It is NOT possible to stop breathing and the body has several safeguard mechanisms in place so you will always breath enough - but you can improve and optimise this to calm yourself with the above breathing technique

I hold my breath when I feel anxious and then I always feel I am not taking deep enough breaths. This is why I find breathing exercises so hard. I feel like I cannot take a deep breath because I have trained my body to hold my breath to much. I really need to work on this. I hope this helps.
    Take care,
    Michelle

One word........ANXIETY!

I get this A LOT. Sometimes not for weeks then wham - its with me for WEEKS!!! Its an unpleasant symptom but not harmful at all. The best way to stop feeling it is to try and not think about it. I always find a little Bachs at this time very helpful

You'll be okay!
    SarahC

hiya

thank u so much for replying, im gonna try and do it next time i feel breathless.

many thanks

leanne xx

i just wanna feel normal

Try this ............

Shortness of breath

The sensation:

You feel that your breathing is forced and laboured. You become conscious of how you are breathing and you have a hard time catching your breath. It seems like you have to force yourself to breathe, in fear that if you don't, you'll stop breathing and die. Or, for no apparent reason, you feel out of breath and find yourself doing an unusual amount of yawning in an attempt to catch your breath.

The reason:

When stress biology changes the body, it quickens the breathing and respiration so that the individual is ready for immediate action. Unfortunately, this also means that the breathing becomes shallow in nature (unless we are physically exerting the body such as running, fighting, swimming, etc.) which results in the body not getting enough oxygen. That’s why we feel out of breath. This is a natural occurring biological outcome resulting from stress biology.
    Sometimes this symptom will be persistent from day to day, and other times it may appear for awhile, then disappear. Both are common. Once the nervous system calms down, you breathing will return to normal.
    Also, because breathing is an automatic bodily function, you’ll never have to worry about not breathing. Your body does it automatically. It may be shallow, but you’ll always get enough oxygen.
    Regular exercise helps to maintain regular breathing patterns.
    As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Thread Information