Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vitamin c?

vitamin c?

Hi all

anyone felt less anxious/stressed when increasing their vitamin c intake?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...25-000001.html

?

I can't say I do and I am currently taking it as I have constant colds.

Not noticed any improvement to be honest but that may just be me.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

I too have been on vitamin c for awhile cuz of this cold that I can't shake but I haven't noticed any improvement with my anxiety.
    I did read in the article tho that 1000 mg is what has proven to be helpful with stress and I am only taking 500 mg a day so maybe I'm just not taking enough.
    xxx
    Sandy

Hi Dave and thanks for the info and link, I only take Vit c when i can remember, but didnt know about its help with stress. Most doctors etc recomend Vit b as the one for stress/ nerves, I have been taking this for years without noticing any differenve, so might as well take vit C too now I know that. nic and Sandy said they didnt notice any difference, but as I said I didnt notice with vit b but that dont mean they are oor are not helping. And for the price its worth a try. Thanks Vernon

thanks for replies,

I think it is the quantity, I have taken 1000mg, 3x time day for the past few days.

I have definitely noticed less anxiety.

But, and here is my proverbial but, I have PTSD, and on this high strength, I feel too wired at these levels of ascorbic acid.

Vit-c has an effect on the adrenal system, so I have to be careful with my PTSD that I dont over do any supplement to a point where I feel I have too much energy (you know that buzz feeling in the brain).

Might sound weird what I have written above, but it is difficult to explain.

To cap, my experience of vit-c is like the link/article, it can reduce that feeling of stress/anxiety.

I will pop a 1000mg vit-c when I feel stressed, not take on a daily basis.

regards

Dave

Hey Dave, interesting post - I would like to know more about the benefits of Vit C as my boyfriend who suffers panic and anxiety has been taking a mulit vit b complex which also has vit c in it. After the first few weeks he noticed a major difference and he went almost two and half months without an attack. Sad to say he has had a few in the last two weeks but no where as bad as he used to. We are currently tweaking his intake as I feel maybe at the mo he might need to take two of these larger strength vit. as with all the stress that comes at Christmas he must be feeling the effects. Anyway am interesting in the vit c side of things. I think he is worried that the mega vit b complex is not working but I really do believe its just that he is using up what he has in his system and needs an occassional booster !

Hi Laney

I have all the empathy in the world for your partner.

Anxiety & PTSD has controlled my life until now.

I have had a whole year of therapy

I use:

1)omega-3 (helps with that wired feeling (ADHD stuff))
    2)vit-c (1000mg) (reduces cortisol)
    3)kava (calming effect, can only buy over net.)
    4)Theanine (that ingredient in tea that chills you out!)
    5)kalms (good old classic)
    6)rescue remedy (good old classic)
    7)zinc/magnesium (helps with that wired feeling (ADHD stuff))

1)CBT
    2)NLP
    3)relaxation techniques (candle lit bath, meditation cd, visualization techniques, deep breathing, )
    4)lots of self education on stimulus, emotions, rational thought/control.

On the supplement front, I only take from the list on a as & when basis. I believe you can become dependent on these supps. You have to be careful. I just alternate on a daily basis.

Big believer on the psychology of anxiety. CBT (controlling thoughts, esp. negative ones, replace with positive alternatives) is great help.

NLP, the 5 senses, how we can distort information and wind ourselves up.

Like my therapist says, I have developed a whole arsenal of techniques to combat my chronic anxiety.

Oh yeah, I am now tee total. This has made big improvements. Depression & anxiety are closely linked. Alcohol has a profound effect on our delicate neurotransmitters.

All the above is flipping hard work to maintain, I am 42 now, I have suffered since the age of 13.

Is only now that I have some kind of control.

My mum died of alzheimer's , she had panic attacks, suffered from terrible anxiety, poor emotional control, she ended up a tortured soul. You can understand that I believe genetics play a big part of what we are.

I hope you find my ramblings useful

regards

Dave

Hi Dave
    Just reading your posts and find it quite interesting.
    Are you saying that you wouldnt recommend taking a daily dose of vitamin then?
    Forgive me for being ignorant but do vits etc have same effect if only taken occasionaly?
    Its all so confusing, i am hopefully recovering slowly and would like to know what supp i should take???
    Thanks for any help
    Nikki

Dave thanks for all your info I will need to come and go and read a little and take it all in - was very comprehensive and i do appreciate all that you have shared down. It was interesting you said about the alcohol side of things. Whilst Keith has suffered with this since later teen years I believe - his worst times were failed relationships in his late twenties and also the death of his father seven years ago. I can by no means state as to the extent of all this and how it has affected him as I am not in his body and for him it feels like a massive problem. I do try to remind him that he is not alone and that there are many others that share the same thing as him and sometimes more then he goes through. I have talked to him about getting therapy but he is very keen on controlling this for himself. We have read up on the Linden method and also the other info on this site. - See your number 4 and also we have a list of things for him to follow re your number 3 with relaxation techniques according to the severity of his attack. This has really helped. Id like him to go for CBT but due to his location and work commitments this sometimes seems impossible and for the fact I am 200 miles away from him to support him for this makes it hard. Something to tackle later on down the track maybe. He is on the B multi and some Vit c and takes Rescue Remedy when he has a bad attack. I have told him about Omega3 and I think he finds it hard to pay for all the suppliments but will keep on at him about that and about the zinc and magnesium. ! Thanks again

Laney

my life only changed when I got official help, thats all i ca say.

I was in denial for years, that I was ok, and I could cope. I was a million miles off the mark.

http://www.keepmyfile.com/download/a7339e1294987

this is the file on alcohol

http://www.malehealth.co.uk/userpage1.cfm?item_id=149
    http://www.mindtools.com/pages/main/newsletters.htm

also a couple of good websites on the emotional stuff.

I am a big believer in the connection between emotions and anxiety.

I feel controlling emotions , esp when in stressful situations , helps enormously

I no longer attend councelling, I am confident now that I am in control.

I felt so much like your partner, is life's events controlling us and our reactions to these events. We have to re-learn to how to deal with stress, rather than internalise it all. Once the techniques are practiced enough one can start to feel relief. New patterns are developed, new behaviours, to cope better.

I cannot emphasise enough, how giving up alcohol has helped me. I was so
    depressed and full of negative/anxious thoughts.

I still miss a dam good glass of wine, but I remind myself how I will feel for the following day(s). It undoes all the hard effort I put into controlling anxiety, uncontrolled thoughts, depression.

let me know how he goes.

regards

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information