Thread: Fear of travelling

Fear of travelling

I have been suffering from this huge fear of travelling, it doesn't matter how, it can be by car/bus/train/plane. Whenever we (me and my family/friends/boyfriend, I don't have a license yet...wonder why ) have to travel I always think "This is it. I have this huge feeling that this time there's going to be an accident and I'm going to die", I also have this fear towards loved ones. However, it's the anticipation that kills me, I can go days/weeks fearing it, but whenever I get inside and the travel starts, I can relax. It's ridiculous but I can't stop feeling this way.
    I'm going to travel on December 21 to visit my boyfriend and I'm already staring to worry.
    I don't know what to do, and maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any way I can "protect" myself from getting seriously hurt on a bus accident? Maybe if I knew some stratagies that could save me in case of an accident, I think I'd have more control of the situation, therefore less anxiety. I always wonder what's the best seat, in the front/middle/back/right or left side...
    Anyway, is there anyone that suffers from the same? Any advices on how to overcome this?
    I'd be grateful for that, thanks!

Re: Fear of travelling

I have panic symptoms every time I ride in a vehicle, partly due to the fear of wrecking and I also have motion sickness along with simulation sickness so I also get sick when I play certain games or watch certain movies.

The same thoughts have crossed and continue to cross my mind when travelling... I overthink most things hence why i've ended up on these forums, but it's never triggered anxiety for me, and these thoughts have never stopped me...

For me, the benefits of travel far outweigh the anxieties, and I really think the best way for you to overcome this one, is to face your fears step by step - take some shorter trips, on transport, to places you will enjoy visiting - the beach, the next town, wherever, experience some beautiful and new things that you wouldn't have done without using transport to get there, and gradually i think you will come to realise that it's worth it after all

I know that the thing with this, is the stats never look good, the media puts all the emphasis in the wrong places, etc etc... but if you think of how many billions of journeys are made by people across the globe everyday, you will realise that the chance of anything happening to the vehicle that you particularly are in for any length of time on any given day, is pretty negligible. IMO you have a lot more to lose by avoiding travel than participating in it

Quote Originally Posted by marycc View Post
    I have been suffering from this huge fear of travelling, it doesn't matter how, it can be by car/bus/train/plane. Whenever we (me and my family/friends/boyfriend, I don't have a license yet...wonder why ) have to travel I always think "This is it. I have this huge feeling that this time there's going to be an accident and I'm going to die", I also have this fear towards loved ones. However, it's the anticipation that kills me, I can go days/weeks fearing it, but whenever I get inside and the travel starts, I can relax. It's ridiculous but I can't stop feeling this way.
    I'm going to travel on December 21 to visit my boyfriend and I'm already staring to worry.
    I don't know what to do, and maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any way I can "protect" myself from getting seriously hurt on a bus accident? Maybe if I knew some stratagies that could save me in case of an accident, I think I'd have more control of the situation, therefore less anxiety. I always wonder what's the best seat, in the front/middle/back/right or left side...
    Anyway, is there anyone that suffers from the same? Any advices on how to overcome this?
    I'd be grateful for that, thanks!

I have always felt this way ALWAYS but have logged over a million miles on the ground in vehicle and about 100000 miles in the air.. So it can be held at bay .. just keep going it will be ok..

Thread Information