Thread: NHS referred to psychiatrist.. few questions

NHS referred to psychiatrist.. few questions

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this, if it would be better somewhere else could a moderator please move it there for me!

So after being on many different medications for anxiety and depression and a failed counselling program, I'm finally referred to a psychiatrist through the NHS.

I got my letter for my appointment through the post today for an initial assessment, it says who it is with but the name doesn't have the title Dr. In front of it.. Is this normal, I don't want to just have some counselling person again who was hopeless for me ��. Or could it be that my appointment is just with someone else first to evaluate me? I've never had the chance to be fully evaluated before, and tbh I would really like to be! I've only ever had 10 minute gp appointments, usually with different doctors each time, I did have counselling but I was lucky if I got 20 minutes with him before someone would knock and say they needed the room so we had to wrap things up..

I don't know what to expect and if anyone has any experience with psychiatrists through the NHS for anxiety I would love to hear from you! I'm failing at life atm and I just hope this is the start to my recovery.. I want to be confident and successful but I never seem to get myself on to the right tracks..

Thanks,
    A Nervous Nigel

Re: NHS referred to psychiatrist.. few questions

Hi
    I was referred to a psych for anxiety and depression about ten months ago.
    The first person I saw was a trainee doctor,which I think is pretty much the norm.
    I had a lengthy discussion with her,during which she asked me lots of questions and made lots of notes.
    She then left the room for a while to discuss her findings with the Psyche,who then came back into the room with her,and introduced himself,asked a few more questions,and appeared to be getting an overview of me.
    He then told me what meds I would be going on,and when they would next see me.
    He was a really nice chap,and the overall experience was a positive one.
    I didn't feel rushed,ànd was reassured that I would get well again.

I had several private therapists who were rubbish,the bloke I got via the nhs was brilliant he really cared and was a very clever person who helped me enormously

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ahh that sounds good April, I hope my appointment is similar to yours! I'm a little confused about how often you see a psychiatrist, because I heard they don't do therapy they just prescribe medication is this correct? If so do they normally send you to some sort of talk therapy also? I'd like that I really want to turn my life around for 2015! I know medication isn't the answer to everything but it seems like it can help kick start you in to recovery!

I'm hoping I will get prescribed some sort of benzodiazepam for emergencies like interviews, presentations or when I am having a very very bad time/day because my anxiety has really held me back and caused me to lose 2 jobs in the past 3 months! But I won't hold my breath , I know how much doctors hate them kind of medications. Plus they might have a better idea, they know better than me! I have thought about asking my gp, but I don't want to come across like a drug seeker lol when I first went to doctor for depression she wouldn't even give me anti depressants!! She said I wasn't bad enough and that she didn't like prescribing them! I was in bits after she refused!

I'm blabbing a bit here.. I'm bit nervous and excited (weirdly) it would just be nice to know of I had GAD or SA or some other disorder.. Then I can start to deal with it properly! I hope they give me some reassurance too!

Nervous Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by A Nervous Nigel View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies!

Ahh that sounds good April, I hope my appointment is similar to yours! I'm a little confused about how often you see a psychiatrist, because I heard they don't do therapy they just prescribe medication is this correct? If so do they normally send you to some sort of talk therapy also
    correct and yes they can refer you to a psychologist

I'm with a CBT therapist through the NHS and she's never put a Dr in front of her name. She's studied for several years to be a therapist though. And she's managing the first doctor that spoke to me for an initial phone assessment. So I wouldn't worry about whether they're a doctor or not - they know how to do their jobs.

There's a lot of regulation in the NHS so you do get consistent standards

I'm similar to lior, I'm seeing a consultant clinical psychologist for talk therapy through the nhs.. They know their stuff on mental health! Then once you're in the system, it's a lot lot easier to get access to treatment

Ahh that's good! I know i need therapy.. Its just getting the right type and person!

I hope I don't get given tablets that have awful side effects since it is coming up to Xmas, I had venlafaxine last time and words cannot describe how I feel about that medication lol! I will not accept any SSRI/SNRI after the trouble I've had with my previous medications from that category! No anti depressant has ever helped my anxiety and most of them have made it worse!

NHS needs to step up for mental health services if you ask me..

Thread Information