Thread: Slow Heart Rate?

Slow Heart Rate?

Hi everyone.

I've been reading a lot about people worried about having fast heart rates, but I'm the opposite and I have a very slow heart rate?

The other night it fell below 50 for a brief moment but its mainly between 50-60 when lying down, 54-70 when sitting and 58-80 when standing. When it fell below 50 I was getting extremely worried that it was going to stop beating or something.

Anyone else have this problem? I used to exercise regularly, and still weight train and swim around 3 times a week but nothing too drastic. I'm no athlete by any stretch of the imagination! So could this be anxiety or a real problem? What are your heart rates like whilst lying down?

Thanks, Michael.

Re: Slow Heart Rate?

Mate, it is just a sign that you are physically fit

A heart rate below 60 is officially bradycardia (Slow heart rate) but is still perfectly normal and fine, especially if you're physically fit. A heart rate below 40 is more something to worry about. As long as you are not feeling dizzy or passing out, then it's absolutely fine.

My heart rate is about 58-65 when i'm lying down relaxed and not feeling anxious (Which isn't all that often anymore! Argh!)

Also, stop checking your heart/pulse rate. It becomes an obsession. Unless you have other symptoms, leave it to do it's thing. Rich coming from somebody who is constantly checking pulse rates and stuff, but that is why I know it's a bad thing! it feeds into health anxiety because you notice every little change

I second what CA88 said. So long as you aren't feeling dizzy when sitting/standing, moving around and the like, then I wouldn't worry; the lack of dizziness means that your circulation is working fine and that there is enough blood reaching where it needs to!

Your heart rate is perfect. Mine is sometimes in the 50s when I'm sitting or in bed. Usually between 55 - 65. I took it once and it was 47 when I was super tired and relaxed.

As previously said, as long as you're not feeling dizzy or extremely fatigued all day, you have nothing to worry about.

Some athletes have resting heart rates of 35 or so.

Don't worry, it is completely normal! Most people don't notice their pulse rate, but if you were to record it, you would find the whole spectrum. And so long as there are no symptoms, then don't think of it and be happy!

Checking your blood pressure may help to soothe you. I'm sure that's perfectly normal, too.

My heart rate ranges from anywhere between 50 and 120 on a daily basis. However, I'm on beta-blockers to prevent ectopics, so that's a bit different from you. I love the feeling of the pills kicking in and the feeling of my heart slowing down. Unlike you, a rate of 50 - 60 makes me feel safe and comfortable! Maybe you should try to think of it that way! Helps to relax and calm <3

Lots of love
    Last edited by achybreakyheart; 26-12-14 at 00:29.

A combination of being fit, young, male, relaxed, sleepy, and not having eaten much can easily drop the heart rate into the 50s or 40s. Like the other people said above, no symptoms suggests no problem.

Thread Information