Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3 - Who else benefits ( I Do )

Thanks - you've spurred me on to start taking them again. I'm very good at buying things and taking them for a while then leave them lurking in the kitchen cupboard. I'm the same with self-help books but that's another story....

Jo

my personal experience with omega 3 is that when it works all is well. Then the pack runs out, you forget to replace it, the levels drop, things begin to happen.

It's only when someone else says ' when did you last take ... ' that you recognise what's going on.

Note that the issue is systemic in that it's not just the Omega3, good diet will play a part, smoking / drinking (the chemical alcohol is about as far away from omega3 that you could get) and then there might be underlying memories to resovlve.

However, for many people I believe the +ve change from regular omega3 is good

You don't have to take what I say on trust - google it and check the sites.

rgds

brian

Hi Brian - I've just spent over an hour Googling Omega-3. I couldn't find the data you refered to.

I did find a lot of information from sources such as the NHS, British Heart Foundation, BBC, The Guardian and New Scientist to name but a few. The info presented didn't relate to anxiety or depression. It was in the main concerning studies in children, studies concerning heart disease and a few on cancer.

About the only thing I could see that was agreed is that we need to eat 2-4 portions of oily fish a week to get our recommended intake of Omega-3.

Could you let me know where I can read more about it please ? I've deliberately avoided sites either selling Omega-3 or promoting their own products with Omega-3 in. I'd be interested to read more.

Krakers.

Im taking 1000mg 2x2 per day.Got a huge tub of 500 capsules from H&B on offer at the moment for £14.99. I also take evening primrose oil 1000mg 1x2 per day,st johns wort 300mg 1x3 per day and vitamin b complex 100 1x1 per day. I missed 2 days over xmas and did I notice a difference!!! The combination really helps to keep me free from depression and less anxious.
    julie x

Whatever happens I'll handle it !

Hi there Krakers, I understand your reticence and here are a lot of relevant links at the bottom of my post

Try googling just "omega" and dependant upon the results use the "-" command to delete unwanted hits at the top. Delete unwanted websites as well if that helps

As regards not reading company literature, you need to recognise that all research is paid research so the vast majority of research will be from companies - those that push their prescription drugs just like those that say they have developed natural remedies. Since in the US no drug w/o FDA approval can be sold and only drug companies can afford to submit their drugs for exhaustive testing a lot of great approaches are illegal over there.

Many drugs we use can't be sold in the US, that's why many US people go to Mexico and the US authorities call this quackery (sometimes I agree it is) because the Mexican supplied drugs were not put through said exhaustive tests. It's not fair and people die because of it but the FDA and drug companies are OK so what the hell.

Back to today; the underlying message is that omega3 is a necesary ingredient to enable the brain to operate. Without it the brain seems to be more sensitised so issues that would not normally affect us do.

Research will only ever exist for areas that have been, well, researched I guess so unless a company wants to stump up a ton of cash, get volunteers and run back to back placebo tests you might be waiting in vain.

Speaking from my experience it works, there was sufficient information out there for me to try it and I am happy to talk further about this if you wish.

As I said before and take this in the context that I don't know your own symptoms, all apparent anxiety issues are until proven otherwise symptoms - the underlying cause is what needs to be addressed. It appears possible with Omega 3 to damp down the fires in the mind so the underlying cause precipitates the symptoms less - it doesn't mask life unlike SSRI's.

Also, from the position that all symptoms are just that, if something is tripping in your mind and a similar tripping can be addressed by an approach (in this case omega 3) then there is absolute merit in considering trying the same approach for yourself.

Especially when there are no side effects unlike prescription drugs.

Here are some links, for you: you might need to Crtl F Omega for the long pages.

http://www.calorieking.com/library/a...FpZD03MDg.html

http://qualitycounts.com/fpfattyacids.html

http://www.omega3fishoil.org/

http://www.iomas.com/gina/ultrahiq/M..._Boosters.html

http://www.omega3.20megsfree.com/

http://www.clo3.com/

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk...ing/omega3.htm

http://www.bipolarchild.com/newsletters/0501.html

Some might be companies that sell the product but so what? They've done the research - read about it.

HTH

Brian

Thanks for that Brian. I've read through all the links provided and found some good, some not so.

I make no apologies for my scepticism for industries which provide their own research. Certainly from the past few decades we need to at least learn to question information that is spoon fed to us. Certainly industries like the tobacco, automobile and petrochem ones have had a lot to answer for.

Having said that the Omega-3 does make interesting reading. One of the sites you mentioned www.clo3.com I found quite concise. I also found quite a bit of info supporting Omega-3 and its effects on Bipolar Disorder from other sites too - http://www.mcmanweb.com/article-15.htm a particularly good one.

Its certainly enough to give it a try. I'll add it to the shopping list and pick some up next time I'm in Tescos.

Thanks ....... Krakers.

Totally understand the reticence. I don't know whether you have ever had CBT or hypnotherapy, the type of 'ah hah' that is arrived at when the concsious mind's knowledge is replaced by the unconscious minds understanding is just like what happened to me when I started using this.

It's just a case of simply damping down the reactions to thoughts - not stopping or removing feelings - perhaps another analogy is like the squelch dial on an old CB or a taxi radio - it cuts out noise and the need to react to it.

I know it works for me and I'd love for the 'medical profession' to research it better - I'd be happy to be MRI'd or Cat scanned to see why it works, all I know is that it does, for me at least and since AFAIK I'm just an average Joe in the body-mind stakes there must be a few others that could get good results accordingly.

It needs to be seen as part of the whole picture:

cigarettes / alcohol / general diet / sleep / CBT-therapy / vitamins-minerals / etc so it's not to be the magic bullet but it is a key element in my eyes.

That's why I posted this, for info, not for profit.

On another site someone came back and said they purchased theirs from www.healthspan.co.uk but as we have a Tescos local that's where I go.

Good luck to all

Regards

Brian

If you are a naturally like me who doesn't like to take pills, then you can get your omega 3 from fish and also flora products. Flora are doing a healthy spread, and also a healthy drink that provides your oemga3 intake. So if you don't want to take pills try the flora products.

I must admit I have changed my diet dramatically about 4 weeks ago and now i am feeling less anxious. Stick to low gi foods and avoid hi gi foods because sugar plays an important part when anxiety occurs. I used to have a right sweet tooth and now i have forced myself not to eat any, and I am telling you the difference has been great. My anxiety is going less and less by the day. Its official our diet plays an important part and does need changing for the good.

here are the flora products by the way

http://www.florahearts.co.uk/whichfl...t.aspx?style=1

fazzy01 hi there. yes you can get some omega 3 as you describe but it was waaaaaay to low for me.

I'm taking 3 x 3 x 1000mg per day. Any less and I don't get the benetfit.

I think I'd need a trawler to get that catch per day!

It needs to be taken in the context of a holistic view ie
    omega3 / other vits & minerals / good general diet / no cigs / no alcohol / therapy if reqd / change social group if requd /

The omega 3 is an issue for most of us in the western world because we are overreliant on processed food.

Most people are overweight, fill up on sugar and fatty food and since we don't store omega 3 its a case of taking some every day

good luck in whichever way you choose to get yours

regards

brian

Fazzy Ijust took the link you gave and the flora reads as follows

* One serving (2x10g; approximately the amount you would spread on 2 slices of bread) = 600mg plant Omega 3 and 135mg fish Omega 3
    ** RDI of EPA/DHA = 450mg/day

I find that I need 9000mg per day and 450 mg is 1/2 of 1 tablet. One tablet does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever.

So possibly a lot of people might try the flora and think it's not working when in fact they just need to adjust the doesage.

AFAIK there is no actual recognised doesage, and if there were the regulatory bodies would err on the side of caution.

So basically I'm taking 18 times the RDA and I'd need to eat about 250 g of flora each day to match that.

I think I'll stick with 9 little pills otherwise I'll get some weird looks filling up the trolley with all those packets of flora every day.

rgds

Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information