Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of eating.

Fear of eating.

I think my fear of eating stems from a fear of dying. None the less I cannot eat. One day I was eating a pasta salad, piece went down the wrong way, nothing out of the norm, cough, comes back up. This time though, next day I have the biggest fear ever. I've been on tomato soup (no bits) and banana complan milkshake since the beginning of November. I cannot bring myself to eat solids. I fear choking. It's getting out of control. I really see no escape or end.

Hi Chanelle

Here are a few links that may help hun.

Food phobia
    New here and suffering from anticipatory anxiety

Eating/choking

eating & breathing
    Really frightend of Swallowing,

Love

Andrea
    xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Have you tried hypnotherpay, EFT or CBT - you can overcome this in time but it will take some time.

You can't carry on with just that diet. You won't choke - it is just your mind playing tricks on you I am afraid.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

that I can understood, but with this being so 'fresh' to me, I feel the physical symptoms and am convinced there is more to it. Like I might have a tumour in my throat? Feel like I'm losing my 'swallow' etc etc. I know it can't be so, but I don't get why I can feel physical side effects.

Hi Chanelle

You are not alone. My name is Joanne30, I have had a fear of choking on food and liquids for 15 years. Don't let the amount of time I have had it scare you, some phobias are more severe than others. Please e-mail me if you need to talk.

All the best
    Joanne30

Hi Chanelle,

I do hope you start eating soon or you will get very ill. Everyone gets something caught in their throat at some point in their lives and has to cough it up. Why don't you try eating the soup tomorrow with some bits in it and see how that goes? If not, I strong suggest what Nic says and see your GP and get into counseling immediately. Hope you work this out.

Belxx

"Our thoughts are our reality"

thank you very much for such fast responses. believe me, it's not by choice. I crave food so badly but cannot bring myself to eat. I guess I'm building things up even before it starts.

I have been told hypnotherapy is good. I'm scared to waste money on some, cos alot of people say it's a con?

Hi Chanelle

A lot of people are sceptical about hypnotherapy imagining it is like the 'entertainment' hypnosis shown on TV. However, at no time are you out of control or do anything you don't want to do.

I have had hypnotherapy and it helped me such a lot with my social phobia.

There is a video clip here taken from a DVD showing someone being cured of a snake phobia. I know the therapist in this clip and I have seen other people helped with other phobias and fears.

It would be worth giving it a go. There is a lot that can be achieved in one session and that could make such a difference to your life. Just make sure you see someone who is registered with one of the professional bodies.

Karen

Chanelle, the right hypnotherapy with the right therapist can work wonders, but you need to be comfortable with them. don't confuse a bad technique with a bad therapist.

Stage hypnotists are not the same as therapists. Now's not the time to explain but there are specific tests that are always applied to filter out those less receptive so only the 'perfect' subjects go on stage - so the hypnotist looks his best.

CBT or hypnotherapy can help. It might be this one off event is a stand alone thing but since you mentioned your fear of eating stems from a fear of dying it sounds as if there's something before the pasta salad that might have set your mind up to go down this path.

Either way it can be addressed. It's worth moving towards a resolution earlier rather than later ( I mean don't wait months not gotta deal with it tommorrow!) since your mind can develop other symptoms/signals if your not heeding whatever it wants you to know.

HTH, not meant to confuse but it might have ...

regards

brian

I'd agree wholehartedly with what Nigel saida, self hypnosis is very good. Perhaps you could give it a go.

You might find that if you did this you'd begin to get more info from your mind about how/why/when the symptoms became installed.

If there's a reticence from your mind to let the memories through you'd be able to speak to a hypnotherapist better and would know more as to whether you felt comfortable if/when you were hypnotised by them.

BTW ALL hypnosis is self-hypnosis, a good therapist only guides you - you're in control at all times.

Rgds

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information