I don't have any friends anymore either, and I'm only 28. I've moved around so much that I've fallen out of touch with people from my childhood, teenage years, uni days, even the ocassional friend I made from places I worked.

Now it's just me and my girlfriend who I live with. I don't even go home for Christmas anymore because I strongly dislike my dad and my mother is difficult to deal with.

For a time I was struggling to find value in myself, I found it hard to see why anyone would want to be my friend and in turn, I had begun to project this lack of worth around me.

I decided to cut that nonsense out though - I wanted my old confident self image back. I used to be a centrifugal force socially and was fearless. I would do and say as I pleased, but I was still a ncie guy that people came to for help and advice.

My esteem had taken such a beating though in my 20s that it's not been an easy road back. But it is coming back. And in the past few months I find my peers respecting me again. They're cautious of me, they see my value. I even had a guy I met at the gym a few times invite me out with some of his mates on a couple of ocassions.

For me, the friendship thing as I see it now, can or cannot happen. It's luck if you meet people you click with. But what you can and must do now is work on finding the best of yourself. Project a confidence and value and people will gravitate towards you, instead of you having to follow around after them.

Think back to when you were a kid. No one wanted to play with the weird kid. Everyone wanted to be in the cool group.

That's sad, but it's a fact of life that transcends youth. People still want to be friends with people who add value to their lives. The values may of course be different to all of us.