Thread: Occupational Health Dilemma

Occupational Health Dilemma

I've been offered a brilliant job at a local school. The sort of job that I've been waiting 10 years for and which could really help me to become a lot happier.

The trouble is that I've got a medical form to fill in and I'm concerned about declaring my anxiety and depression in case they withdraw the job offer. If they did that then I really would be badly depressed. I really do want to be honest and I know that it's what I should do, but I feel like I can't risk losing this job. What should I do?

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Do tell them that you have depression and anxiety. You are fit to work and (if you are very positive) depression will not affect your work.

Congrats by the way!

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

Hi there. Fear not! I can really understand this one. I was in the same dilemma when applying for the job (TA for class and SEN) I have now been in for 18 months. But in the end I decided that I must be honest, because the dishonesty could lost me the job. So I declared the depression, and got the job anyway.

Last September I had a long chat with my headteacher about the panic and anxiety, and depression. He was very understanding and seems genuinely concerned about my health, not just for the sake of filling the post. Good luck with your application. The fact that you've been offered a job indicates they know you and are keen already!

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I've decided that the best thing to do is to be honest, as I think that it's the grown up thing to do. I'd hate to start the job and to have trouble with depression, which would cause me extra anxiety as I would feel that I couldn't be honest about it.

Also, I'm due to have some more CBT and that would cause me anxiety if I wasn't able to take it up because I couldn't be open with my employer about why I needed the time off.

If anyone is likely to be understanding and inclusive, it is the education sector. If they do decide to withdraw the offer, then so be it. Maybe it will be in my best interest as the job is likely to be quite stressful.

It is scary and I'm bound to be on tenterhooks until it is all resolved, but I do feel very calm about the decision, so it must be the right one. Thanks to Spacecadet, who advised me that I should start my new life with no skeletons in the cupboard and also to Sophie. I've filled the form in right now rather than dwelling on it and allowing myself to change my mind. I know that it is the positive thing to do. I've tried to do the opposite of what I would normally do and I'm sure that it will work out fine.

At first, I wasn't really listening to advice because I was so afraid of losing the job, but deep down I know that it is the right thing to do and that has been backed up by every single piece of advice being in favour of being honest.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Just saw this one and Yes you have done the right thing. I was in a similar position a few years ago and it wasnt a problem. In fact my openess and honesty were credited.

Best of luck

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Hi

You gotta be honest, if your not and something happens then you will be in trouble. An enlightened employer shouldnt take to much notice of the problem

Keith

Thread Information