Thread: Everyone feels fear

Everyone feels fear

I've just been watching the Rebel Billionairre with Richard Branson and he challenged himself to face one of his biggest (irrational- his words) fears...bungee jumping. He said that he has no fear about sky diving, but that bungee jumping terrifies him.

When it came to it it took him about three attempts to finally do it and he admitted that his legs had gone to jelly. The point though is that he did it and came up smiling and saying how brilliant it is.

I guess that the 'secret' to beating anxiety and phobias really is just to face it. I am trying to do it myself and I'm realising that things are nowhere near as hard as I think that they're going to be....I want to feel that I can actually turn it round more though and feel relief and excitement from overcoming my fears.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Hello W.I.F.T.S

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I want to feel that I can actually turn it round more though and feel relief and excitement from overcoming my fears.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I think I know what you mean here. I have an innate fear of heights [V]. Now, recently over the past couple of years, I have been in situations where I have had to face my fear. Sometimes I have been unsuccessful (which made me angry with myself) and sometimes I have been successful.
    I try and remember the successful occassions primarily, but don't try and blot out the unsuccessful ones. This is because, for me, I have accepted that I will always have a fear of heights but I can now face it and overcome it most of the time.
    I never actually know how I am going to handle it until I'm in the situation! I find that by doing this, I am not setting my goals too far ahead thus making them unreachable.
    Yes, my goal is to overcome the fear, but only as and when it arises. This makes me feel very proud when I manage it, but I don't feel angry or dejected anymore when I don't!

Your signature is so true!

Take care

lotsa luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

Hiya, yeha you're right..I startd forcing myself to go out..in spite of the fact I felt faint with fear adn gradually my anxiety is geting better. It's not over by any means but I'm getting there. My other symptoms are horrendous but at least my anxiety isn't! Speaking of fear...I talk to someone online who said he considered fear a 'charachteristic he despises. yet no one is more afraid than him. He has never got a job, is 27 and lives at home with his mum. Not out of anxiety or mental health but just because he is so disconneted form reality he can't face the real world.

Hi There,
    So True. You know what they say Feel The Fear or as the No More Panic Moto Goes JUST F****G DO IT! LOL

Anxiety and excitement are very simular feelings. I'm fine when I know i have something to be scared about. It's when there's nothing much happening and I get the anxious feelings then. That's what I hate. :(GRRRR. I like a reason for everything me. Not always possible though huh![Duh!]

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X

Pippa.

Thread Information