Thread: Terrified it's my pancreas

Terrified it's my pancreas

I am making myself sick over this. Last year I had blood work done and all came back fine except my sugar ( borderline prediabetic ). I was concerned since I was not overweight or ate particularly bad, but since the doctor didn't mention anything bad, I let it go. However, the last couple months I started feeling discomfort just beneath my left breast, and sometimes in my back. I go to the gym daily and just assumed it might be from that. Finally went to doctor since I ended up with a panic attack over it and was told more or less anxiety. Ran blood tests again to check sugar and it came back same, pre diabetic (5.8 was the number I was given). Totally freaking out that this combined with the on and off again discomfort I am feeling means pacreatitis or even worse pancreatic cancer. Of course when I called the doctor back to voice my concerns the office is closed for the next 3 days. I'm so upset I don't know how I'm going to get through the next few days! I'm just terrified.....

Re: Terrified it's my pancreas

Hi kakat

I posted about back & left rib pain a few weeks ago, panicking as to whether it might be PC, as I stupidly googled it & it was the 1st thing that came up. Several lovely people took the time to reply and reassure me that they have had similar pains which were not down to PC. I've been to my dr and I'm waiting for a date for my scan. The wait isn't nice but I keep telling myself that if so many others can get this discomfort without PC then it could be exactly the same for me.

I've never ever suffered from health anxiety before but in the last few weeks I've been taken aback at how crippling it can be. I've had horrendous nausea (which I got the day after the dr referred me for a scan) for approximately 2 weeks which has now gone, so that must have been due to anxiety or a bug (unlikely), now my rib pain seems to be moving about, however when I'm out & about it goes away. So when I think about it I realise how I'm overanalysing everything & am aware of every twinge in my body, which just makes the anxiety worse.

It may be that you've pulled a muscle at the gym, worried about it and all these other rib pains could be a result of anxiety. Coupled with that it's probably unlucky that you've had a pre diabetic result on your bloods. Have they tested anything else? Inflammatory markers?

You're going to need to try and calm down (easier said than done I know), keep yourself as busy as possible over the weekend, and see your gp early next week & explain your concerns. Hopefully she will do repeat bloods & you could ask for a scan to put your mind at rest. I know how tough the wait is so hang in there, freaking out about it all will make you worse. Let us know how you get on next week. X

Hi Milly100 - Thank you so much for your message. It have me some comfort that I could really use. I'm afraid I'm driving my husband and close friend crazy with my constant worry. I can't stand the thought of something serious and terminal could leave my children without a mother. You are right, Google is my worst enemy. The top things that keep popping up when I type in my "symptoms" are PC or Pancreatitis, which scares me to death. I checked my lab results and they ran other blood work such as liver, thyroid, electrolytes, not seeing anything regarding inflammatory though. All the rest was good. The weird thing is it started as what I thought was weird chest pain but now seems to be more like left abdominal and back pain/discomfort. I pray it's something treatable or that it's just my anxiety taking over and causing the symptoms I've been feeling.
    Have you had your scan yet? I wish you comfort and great results!

Katkat,

Did you end up receiving a diagnosis? Please share with us..

Thank you,

Thread Information