Thread: side effects

side effects

Hi,

This is my first time of taking citalopram I have had depression before but was on flouxetine. I have had / having several weird side effects with citalopram this is my 5th day of taking them. One of the side effects that I am getting is when I am going of to sleep I get a funny feeling in my brain all I can describe it as is like being on top of a small wave and sliding down it, it happened twice last night. The other side effect is my face was flushed and hot all day even though the office I work in was cold and the rest of me felt cold it was a really odd feeling.

I was wondering if anyone else had any symptoms like these?

Thanks,

Jillycoops5

Re: side effects

Citalopram causes all kinds of weird and wonderful side effects and these certainly seem to fit- check out the citalopram survival guide pinned in this sub-forum.

All the times I have started taking Cit I have had side effects- ranging from floating and dropping (much like your wave effect) to twitching, brain zaps (popping feeling and sounds in my head) to hot and cold flushes, crazy dreams, and zoning out for a minute.

Side effects tend to subside over a few weeks, so don't worry too much about them

I'm on day 6 and I've experienced weird hot and cold flushes. Never had them before taking the meds! I also get a lot of weird physical sensations when I'm trying to go to sleep, it's really affecting my sleep for this reason.

Sorry I don't have any real advice, but you're definitely not alone!

Hello Jillycoops5,

These kinds of sensations are completely normal when starting on citlalopram, you might find that your symptoms of depression ( or anxiety) worsen during the first few weeks. Citalopram can take up to 4-6 weeks to build up to effective levels in your system, and I can assure you when you get there it is a very effective medication.

I suffered with mixed anxiety and depression for years, and citalopram almost completely eliminates these problems.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks Johnmd91 and xvolatileheart for the reassurances about the symptoms I am having. Yesterday was an awful day mainly through lack of sleep but today was a lot better today with no symptoms and actually slept the whole night last night.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Thanks Dread for the reassurances about the side effects some days I have them and like today no side effects

I've been on this for about 9 days and it has made me more anxious my mood has dropped and I can't sleep which might be making it all feel worse. Fingers crossed it all gets better soon

On day 10 and also struggling with sleep and anxiety/low mood. What dose are you on? I'm ready for it to kick in now...

Well I'm feeling abit better than I did a few days ago but still not great. I'm on 10mg at the moment but have a review tomorrow so I'm not sure if they will up my dose

Thread Information