Thread: Valerian for Insomnia

Valerian for Insomnia

Hi!
    I was wondering if anyone could help me-I'm looking into natural sleep remedies and I've heard some good things about valerian, including the fact that it doesn't have any unpleasant side effects, so I'd much rather take it than diazepam. However, I'm confused about the dose-different things I've read said anywhere between 300 and 600mg and also a lot of natural sleep remedies seem to contain valerian. I wonder if anyone had any experience of taking it and could advise me.

Thanks
    Sarah x

HI Sarah, I take Quiet Lives which contain a little valerian. If the sleep gets worse, I take Nytol, not the herbal ones, the ones with the antihistamine in them. I find I can take them on a need basis and have no problem stopping even if I've been taking them for a few weeks. Still better than diazepam.

Love JO x

Hi

I take valerian in drop form and find it a good sleep aid. Im afraid to take medications and this works as a good alternative for me, The bottle recomends 30 drops half and hour before bedtime but I find I am a little drowsy the next day after this amount so I take 15 drops before bedime, I get a good night sleep from this amount when struggling with no side effects (and believe me if it had any id be sure to have convinced myself I have them!),

Let me know how you get on x

Hi Sarah, I have used valarian also in droplet form, usually about 20 drops if sleeping really badly and it is very effective. I then cut down the drops as my sleep gets better. Think it has a slight diuretic effect as I have to rush to loo when i wake, but this is preferable to insomnia or other side effects.
    Hope this helps you

Thanks everyone for your advice, just wondered where you buy your drops from? Do you swallow them or put them in a drink? Do they taste nasty?
    Sarah

I get mine from local health shop, mix with a little water, doesnt taste nice at all so I just neck it but defo worth it x

Hi Guys

Only just seen this posting, so a little late in putting my contribution forward.

Could I please add that any body considering taking Valerian should first check if it is compatible with any other prescribed meds they may be taking. I am advised that it Should NOT be taken in conjunction with Propanalol. Valerian is an ingredient in a number of the over-the-counter sleep/stress aids. Tescos and Sainsburys print a warning on their sleep aids, but not all brands carry the warning. Similarly, Nightol (both the herbal and anti-histamine) can creat probs for people who are taking Propanalol.

Having said the above, I hear nothing but good reports about Nightol and Valerian as sleep aids; I suspect that taken with a glass of warm milk they are probably every bit as good as a prescribed sleeping tablet, and I look forward to the day when I come off Propanalol, and can try one or both!!!!!! I might get a good night's sleep then!!!!!

Sandie

Hi There

like Sandie just dropping by this topic...I use valerian for calming anxiety before meetings if I don't think that my breathing will get me through or just don't have the energy for a massive anxiety attack..I don't think I've ever used it for sleeping as such...

But a few years back I had unbelievable insomnia as part of Post Traumatic symptoms and I was absolutely desperate because my body was producing so much adrenalin (I guess) that the exercising and other pre-bed time rituals my GP recommended just weren't working. I then went to my naturopath who recommended Passion Flower (from memory mixed with hops and valerian). I don't know any details of dosage or potency, except that I had to take three a day, one morning, noon and night. I have to say I was really sceptical, but she assured me that she had had clients with even the worst insomnia who had had success. She described it as not knocking you out like pharmaceutical sleeping tablets, which I tried once or twice but woke up feeling really thick headed from, but as preparing my brain to accept the bodies' need for sleep so that my brain wouldn't fight. From memory I slept the first night for about the first time in five months - 7-8 hours instead of my usual 3-4. I still feel like taking it saved my life/sanity.

I think you can buy similar combinations over the counter (in Australia anyway), but this was "medicinal grade" passionflower (and valerian and hops) and had to be "prescribed" by my naturopath. Not sure what contraindications are - best to check with a naturopath.

But good luck!

Thank you Pirategirl, that was most helpful. I'm going to see what's available in the health food shop and also check out any registered naturopaths in my area.
    And a big thanks to Sandie for reminding me to check with a pharmacist before taking anything-I'm on Cymbalta and because I have used diazepam in the past to help with insomnia, I just blindly assumed I'd have no probs taking valerian.
    Thanks everyone, your posts have been very useful!
    Sarah

Thread Information