Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anxiety cause a pain near the ribs?

Re: Can anxiety cause a pain near the ribs?

Hi all, i have just joined as i was looking for some advice of rib pain, and there like someone was answering my prays was this topic. I too have been suffering from left rib pain for about 2 weeks, it sometimes causes me pain when i wear a bra, but doesnt stop me from doing normal everyday things. My dad has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer which is incurable and my anxiety has gone through the roof. I have convinced myself that i have something terrible, but wont go to the doctors just incase. My ribs are sore to press, and when i apply pressure of the side i can feel something inside moving - popping- clicking. Not sure what it is, i have been lifting really heavy things recently so not sure if its related. It would be great if someone could enlighten me and put my mind at rest. x

I have the same, started a few weeks ago... glad to find this thread. I recently had a baby and he is growing obviously I wonder if its from lifting him.

alwaysworriedsick.. if you have been lifting heavy things I am sure that is it! I would imagine.

Yes!, i believe the term hypochondria is related to the region of ribs called the hypochondrium. I imagine this is because a large portion of people with health worries believe pain there is related to the heart.

My most recent,but totally genuine,pain in around my right rib, which goes to my lower back.
    obviously panicing its liver related!
    had it for about 2 weeks now, not excruciating but constant.
    anyone else right rib?

Question Re: Can anxiety cause a pain near the ribs?

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
    Hello all,

I have been doing well of late (proud of myself, which I have not been in years).
    I have had this symptom before, which the doctor was not concerned but it was about 6 months ago.

Since last Monday, a pain has appeared, where my left rib is, which does not stop me doing my everyday things but I know it's there.

The other night I forgot about it (which is my aim for the year, to try and ignore symptoms) but when I went to pick up my son, I then felt it.
    It does not hurt when I breath in / out but obviously with anxiety it's just starting to cause me a little concern.

I must admit, since I have had this pain, I have been concentrating on it, which I know from experience, anxiety can make things worst.

I noticed a few threads on this forum about people having a pain near their ribs and I was wondering if there is a link to anxiety from this pain near the ribs.

Red
    Hi

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:28 ----------

Hi, I'm new here and I have searched the net trying to find someone, anyone with rib pain the same as mine.. It started when i moved desks at work and had to stretch to use the PC, it felt like a stitch in my right side.. as if i'd been running, it would ease off when i went home and come back within a few hours of being back at work.
    The stitch went away, but i developed a nagging ache inbetween my ribs on my right side at the back.. it became a constant ache and then little stabbing pains in and around the same area.. now 6 weeks down the line i have these little stabbing pains underneath a few of my ribs but only on the right side.
    My GP has given me sick leave, but the pains haven't gone.
    I have been really stressed over an unrelated health problem, which thankfully is now on the mend and i was wondering if stress could be the cause of the pain i'm in now?
    I have no other symptoms, not tired, sick, or ill in any other way, I've had bloods done to check my liver, all fine and I am awaiting a Gallbladder scan, I know it's not Gallbladder as nothing I eat makes it worse... It is now driving me crazy and I wonder if it will ever go away.
    Anyone out there who can help x

In hearing all of you at the moment with this..... Sore ribs, sore pec muscles! The works!

Tension and anxiety are best friends!

Anxiety and Stress can be developed within years. I have noticed it within 5 years. First, it started with breathing problems (not having a clue why) which I thought was a heart problem (age of 25 and perfectly healthy!)..no comments.
    Then, it gradually developed into depression and panick attacks, due to stress about work, future, past, present..every moment was stressful. Still having no clue what caused it, I finally decided to do complete health checks (blood, x-ray, ultrasound). I was and am perfectly healthy.
    After doing a lot of research (reading psychology books, nutrito books, health related articles), I have finally managed to control my panick attacks and stress disorders. However, it can be on an off. At least I know the source of my disorders and how to deal with them.
    Advice: If you suffer from stress disorders, do not by any chance try to examine your body (your ribcage in our case) to see how painful it is when you press it. I have done it and it made my stress even worse thinking I have tumor or liver/heart problem.
    Start doing something creative or get out of your flats/houses and go for a nice walk. I live near the Meadows in Edinburgh and I know that city life can be very stressful. However, having the chance to go out in the nature or climb up the Arthur's seat gives you a great pleasure. Get the endorphins do the job for you
    Hope that helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information