Not sure if this is the right forum to ask (maybe it belongs in Symptoms)?

I've suffered from severe anxiety problems (on and off) for the past twelve years. I've just started taking Venlafaxine again after a break of about six months (i'd previously been taking it for four years).

I really can't remember how bad the side effects were the first time round, it was a long time ago and i was very messed up at the time.

Anyway, since starting taking it again (it's been about a week now), i've had an almost constant rapid pulse (between 100 and 140 bpm) and palpatations. I haven't been able to sleep for 2 days now and i'm starting to get really freaked out. I can't think straight, i keep getting pains in my chest and arms, and my whole body aches and feels 'fuzzy'.

I'm just not sure if these symptoms are because i've not slept, if they're a sign of my illness getting worse in spite of the meds, or if they are side-effects of the medication.

I went to see a doctor yesterday (not my usual GP who is on holiday), and he assured me that the symptoms are just anxiety and that these drugs tend to increase anxiety for the first few weeks before settling down. I was already in quite a state when i saw him, and he prescribed me Diazepam 5mg to take 3 times a day until the Venlafaxine kicks in so that i can try and get some sleep.

Despite the Diazepam, i still haven't slept. I feel relatively relaxed when i lie down (except for the palpations which won't go away) but every time i start to drift off to sleep i just wake up again. I spent eight hours lying in bed last night, jolting in and out of almost falling asleep every 10 minutes or so.

I just don't know what to do, the pains in my chest and arms are getting worse as the day drags on, and i'm worried that the increased heart-rate is damaging my heart (although the Doctor said 140 bpm isn't at all dangerous). I'm scared of trying to sleep as i know i won't be able to, but i know that the longer i go without sleeping, the more anxious, confused and paranoid i'll get.

I'm scared of staying at home as i don't want to upset my wife and kids by getting freaked out, and i'm scared of going into hospital (i've never been admitted before and am afraid they'll just pump me full of drugs that will make me feel worse).

For the record, the last time i was taking Venlafaxine was the most productive and 'normal' four years of my life, it's the only drug that has ever worked for me long-term.

Sorry for the long waffling post, i'm getting really freaked here and i just needed to talk to someone.

Andy (pootle)