Thread: Pregnancy Turmoil

Pregnancy Turmoil

Hi.

I really dont know what to do. My panic attacks and constant anxiety are spiralling out of control. I only take the ocassional 2mg Diazepam when I cant cope.

Im 10 weeks pregnant and have been prescribed Imipramine. Im really scared and not sure about taking taking tablets while pregnant.

Any advice please, what should I do?

Liz xx

Hi, I can't really comment as I don't know anything about the medication. But when your doctor prescribed it, did he know you were pregnant? If so, then it will have to be safe to take during pregnancy.

Are you wanting to take it now? Is there an emergency doctor you can discuss this with over the phone, or maybe NHS direct?

Sorry, I know this isn't much help. I'm crap at taking medication at the best of times, let alone when I was pregnant. But if you need it and your GP says it's safe, then don't beat yourself up about it.

Best wishes
    xx

Sorry, should have also said : CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hi Lizzie,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I would contact your doctor and ask why you were prescribed an anti-depressant while pregnant. There may be a reason why they chose to keep you on them. I personally do not think it is a good idea to take any meds while pregnant but that is just my opinion. I would call your doctor though, every case is different. Good luck.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

Hi Lizzie
    Have a chat to your Dr. I understand that there are some options when pregnant about medication.

One reason could be they don't want you getting stressed out whilst pregnant in case that causes problems in your pregnancy ( e.g. high blood pressure - can end up with you in bed for months and being induced early) and are trying to keep you calm. But if it was me I'd be having a chat with the Dr and the midwife.

If I had it to do over, I would definitely, absolutely take meds while pregnant. What should have been a joyous and precious time for me was instead a nightmare due to my constant state of anxiety. Unfortunately I wasn't yet diagnosed with GAD and did not recognize it for myself so I never confided in a doctor.

Many meds have been proven safe to use during pregnancy. Even some chemotherapy drugs can be used! Babies are very resilent and doctors are not going to jeapordize you or your child. It's better for you and your baby to have calm and peace right now than stress and anxiety.

Don't suffer needlessly...talk to your doctor and be very upfront about your fears and worries.

Meredith

THanks for replying all.

Meredith, thank you. Ive been giving myself more anxiety by worrying about the effects on the baby, but after today, probably the worst day of my life, Ive decided I have to take the meds. Im not eating, sleeping and my stress cant be good for the baby either. I dont want to take meds but I think Im going to have to!!

Take care - Liz xx

Honestly, I don't think that you have a choice. You are right that the constant panic is not healthy for your pregnancy! Stop with any feelings of guilt over this--you wouldn't hesitate to take insulin if you were diabetic and this isn't any different.

Enjoy this time and relax! It sounds like you are in good hands. God bless, Meredith

Thread Information