Thread: Teenage/Childhood panic attacks

Teenage/Childhood panic attacks

Hiya

A question for everyone who has had panic attacks at a young age:

Do you think that your mental development has been hindered due to your panic attacks?

I started getting my attacks at the age of 13 and I don't think I have developed mentally, I say that my mind is 2 years younger then my body.

I remember doing stupid, childish things that I should have grown out of. Also I fear independence and I still want to be looked after evern though I am 17 years old. I now have two jobs (I work Sunday evenings at the moment and I start my new one in February) and when I started last Sunday I was scared, really scared!

So everybody, does this apply to you?

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

Hello Jadey,

I think my first panic attacks began at about age 11 . I'm not sure that i would consider my mental development as hindered by them but they have certainly had a huge effect in certain areas of my life. I would describe it more as being stuck & unable to make progress . I think I understand what you're getting at though. For me , my childhood panic attacks are like a huge trauma & the fear keeps me back from being fully myself.

It's an interesting subject & I wonder how others who suffered panic as a child have been affected.

Hi Jade

You are so grown up we have listened to you and seen it happen. When you met your first boyfriend you were no longer little Jade. I would honestly say to you that what you have gone through you are so much wiser than your years.

If you look back look at how hard it was for you but you coped, pulled through and again you will do the same.

You were always the little sis but you have blossomed and grown up so much.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Sal - I'm still the baby in the forum, even if I am 17 now, lol!!!

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

hmmm i dont know with this one... i think mayb it depends on ya personality... i think it some cases your mental development can be hindered but then again i think this illness really makes ya grow up!! U are v grown up Jade... older people get scared about new things to and theres nothing wrong with wantin someone to take care of u!!!
    Gemxxx

Re: Teenage/Childhood panic attacks

yeh i think it has with me..coz even tho im only 13 - ive had them since being 11 - i feel afraid of the future and i feel like i need more support and to be looked after and i fear independence and i act so child-ish..so yeh it has affected me.
    kelly x

I'm 14 now, and i've had it for about 6 months. I am afraid of the future, as everyone i have met that had problems like this at my age have some serious social anxieties and stuff. However, i don't think this has hindered anything except my exercise which i'm STILL afraid to do.

I'm 15.My first pa was when i was 7 but,then i didn't realised that actually is a panic attack.The most of times i was thinkink i'm dying.Now my experience is big,and my confidence is bigger.The only way to get rid of the fears is to face them.I'm doing that and i feel better - tommorow is the next step.

Thread Information