Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with panic attack sufferers

help with panic attack sufferers

hi, this is my first time on any thing like this so i am a little nervous. The thing is that my partner of two years suffers from panic attacks,(since childhood, she's now in her forties.) Although she has in the past tried to explain what this means to me i didn't always fully understand what was meant by panic attack and how it could take over peoples lives to the extent that it does. What i'm asking for is what i can do for her and where can i go for some practical help and tips, i do fully realise that this is not a short term thing and that it may take many years before we find that time when it doesn't play such a major part in our lives together.

You're very welcome here. You'll find lots of friends with good advice.

Jo

Hello, albyw!

This place is full of people who have experienced things like this and who can give good advice. I think that it's a beautiful thing that you're trying to help support her and help her through this scary anxiety stuff. =)

Best wishes,

- Jamberry

Don't let life get the best of you; instead, give life your best.

Just by being there for your partner, is a hugh help. be patient, and try ,because it will feel like at times that you are gettting no where. goood to have you here, we are here for eachother.

hi
    i think your being really great to help your fiance your a welcome an any of us on this site would be glad to help support you both
    take care j

Hello

Listen, listen and listen somemore and ask what it is that your partner would like you to do. When the going gets tough, cos sometimes it might, be extra supportive and give lots of encouragement. Try not to push too hard or expect too much too soon. Everyone has bad days whether they have panic attacks or not so be that port in a storm.

Be kind and be compassionate cos having panic attacks is hard! Best of all keep on talking to each other.

Don't ever say "Calm down"...."Pull yourself Together"....because believe me if we could pull ourselves together we would!!

Have a look at the home page as there is some information about panic attacks as well as avoidance. Browse the boards and have a look at what other people here are saying. It will give you the chance to see what others are going through and your partner is not alone. There are lots of success stories too.

Perhaps some of the other posters could give you some more ideas.

Take care

Lexxie

Hi, thanks to all who replied, i didn't expect replies so quickly. It seems that the best thing to do is to be as supportive as possible and above all listen. I will also try to learn as much as i can from this site, and will keep logging on from time to time, Thanks once again..

Print off some stuff from the website too - www.nomorepanic.co.uk

Especially the First Steps page and the How to cope one.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Try to be patient. Frustration from my partner used to make me worse! Dont smother her though, a little reasurrance and love goes along way.

All the best

hi i suffer with panic attacks and my husband has been fantastic with me when i have a panic attack he just talks to me saying to me they want kill you there not harmful just breath slowly and i can feel me panic comming down if you need to talk we are all here xxxx bernadette xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information