Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uneven pupils

A few weeks ago a coworker noticed that my pupils were uneven. I went and checked and noticed that they were slightly but tried to blow it off, then last week my wife noticed the same thing. At that point I got really scared and made an appointment to see an opthamologist. He looked at my eyes for a while and diagnosed me with Aide's Pupil. He said I could go to a neuro-opthamologist if I wanted to, but he didn't think it was necessary. I made an appointment to see the neuro-opthamologist right after I saw the opthamologist but it's not until March 5.

The morning after going to the opthamologist I woke up in a complete state of panic with shooting pains in my head, neck and legs and decided to go to the Emergency Room. I told the ER doc my story and he ordered a CT of my head 'just to reassure' me. It came back normal. You would think that I would be reassured by that, but I have been in a debilitating state of anxiety since then (3 days ago) with leg pain, head pain, neck pain and numbness / tingling in my hands and fingers.

I have a history of health anxiety and was even hospitalized for it about ten years ago. I've been on Paxil ever since, and I thought I was 'cured,' but it seems to be back with a vengeance. Even knowing that I have a history of this I can't stop looking things up on the web and constantly checking my eyes to try to determine if I really have Aide's or something like Horner's syndrome, which is usually a sign of a tumor in the chest or neck. I might add that I had a chest X-Ray a few months ago because of a thumping feeling in my chest that I've had for years, but with all this testing I am still anxious and depressed to the point that I can't do anything but look up info on the web and check my eyes.

Sorry for the long rambling message, but I'm hoping someone will understand and maybe tell me something that will help. Thanks.

Re: Uneven pupils

Aargh. I just went to the optician for an annual exam because of floaters/flashers I was seeing. He looked things over, dilated my eyes, and said all looked good.

Afterward, I was noticing a slight difference in color that sometimes occurs between my two eyes (a brightly colored jacket, or instance wll look more vibrant through one eye and a little dull through the other). One eye also seemed to be a little blurry. I actually called him up to mention it, and he said that he had looked at my optic nerve, and that he saw no sign of any nerve problem, so not to worry about it. Of course, I've since read that optic neuritis isn't always picked out by looking at the optic nerve, so I'm still nervous about it.

And, to top it off, when looking at my eyes (perhaps too closely) tonight, I was putting lights on them to test their reactivity. Both seemed to dilate/constrict properly (I think), but I became convinced that one pupil is larger than the other. It seems worse when they're constricted, like one constricts less, and doesn't stay as small. Not by a huge margin, but now that's driving me nuts, too. I know, logically, that if it were a problem, he would have noticed, but I can't help but worry about it...I've been Google-free for weeks, but succumbed today, and, of course, have all sorts of nasty visions in my head of what might be wrong. It would be crazy to call this guy again tomorrow, right?

I know I need to just forget about it. I just had my eyes examined this morning, after all, and had a checkup with my GP earlier in the month, and he looked at my eyes as well, and mentioned nothing. I haven't even been able to get confirmation that one pupil is bigger (I'm home alone for the evening). Some reassurance would be beneficial...I'm almost as bugged by the fact that I'm anxious as I am by the actual anxiety!!

Adam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information