Thread: Council tax summary warrant after repayments not coming off from ESA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Council tax summary warrant after repayments not coming off from ESA

A month or so ago I started to get ESA for health reasons and I also got a final reminder in for last years council tax. The bill came to around £300 odd and I couldn't afford to pay it all at once so called up the council and explained I am on ESA and was looking to set up a repayment plan. They said that was no problem and they would take £6 off my ESA every week. They said they would do it automatically and I wouldn't notice it was even gone.

So I thought it had been taken off each week and the money was going to the council and then today I got a letter through saying the council hasn't received anything from me and the sheriff has added 10% onto my bill and its now at £400 and it must be paid immediately or I risk either an earnings arrestment, an arrestment of my bank account or attachment. There was also a form to fill out asking for more of my bank details.

What's annoying is that I got this letter on a Saturday and they are shut at the weekend so I'm going to worrying about this all weekend. I used what I had left in my account from my last payment which was only £26 to pay some of it off so that's me totally skint until my next payment which is over a week away but in a panic, I didn't know what else to do.

What exactly is attachment? I can hazard a guess what the other two mean but I've never heard of that before.

If I call up or go into the office first thing on Monday morning, will I still be able to settle a repayment plan? Or will they actually expect it to be paid 100% in full? I can only do that if I take out a loan but I don't know if I would get that as I am a part time student and I've been turned down in the past.

I'm very worried.
    Last edited by GingerFish; 22-08-15 at 14:20.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Thread Information