Thread: Fear of having contracted/spreading hiv

Fear of having contracted/spreading hiv

Hi.

I have for about a year and a half been convinced that I am hiv positive.
    I have tested negative 5 times during this last 1 and a half years and once 8 months after what i consider my primary infection.

The time of my so called primary infection occured in march 2009. This is a long time ago so my memory of these events are not the best. I got tonsilitis in march 2009 and I remember having drunk oral sex with a prostitute where i had wounds on my tounge when waking up day after. Now I do not remember how far apart these two events occured.

I was at the time living in Japan and partying/drinking quite heavely during my stay. When I got the tonsilitis I went to the doctor and got some meds, got better and thought nothing of it.

After a while i noticed my tounge was white, it still is. If I wipe my tounge it gets better but as soon as i eat something the small papillae on my tounge gets white again, like the food gets stuck and it just keeps building up if i don't wipe. I am convinced that this is thrush, I have now tested negative for fungal infection twice and asked 4 different doctors and nobody seems to think that there is something wrong.

I was living in Japan until may 2009 when i returned to my home country, Sweden. There I continued to live life as normal but after a while my tounge gave me concerns so I started to look up information on the internet where I found out about the connection between thrush and tonsilitis and hiv primary infection.
    I went to a doctor in Sweden to get my tounge checked out, the doctor said nothing was wrong so I once again continued living life normal.

In november 2009 I decided that i wanted to go back to Japan the next year in april. A little time passed and once again my concerns about my tounge came back and I decided to take a HIV test, this was in Januari 2010, 8 months after what i see as my primary infection.

The test came back negative.

I went back to Japan in april 2010, I am still living in Japan. I now have a wife and our daughter was born about a month ago but i can't stop worrying that I have given my wife HIV and my daughter also has it.
    My wife was tested for HIV during her pregnacy, it was negative.

I don't know why but for some reason the thoughts of hiv came back at around one and a half years ago. I took some time looking up alot on the internet and my anxiety got worse and worse to the point where I was looking at my tounge for hours a day.

I decieded to take another hiv test. It was a rapid one that shows the result in about 30 minutes, it was negative. I was relieved beyond belief.

It was shortlived though, after about 3 months the thoughts came back and I started to see more symtoms and also looking a symtoms on my wife.

I recall my wife having a very high fever once and diahrrea where here hands crampt and black dots on her leg.
    I do not recall how close these 3 event occured but they occured in the span of 2 years.

So I got tested again, this time not only hiv but hepatis and other diseases, they all came back negative.

I worry that i have infected my wifes mother, sister and sisters child. This new-year we had a family dinner where we all ate using chopstick from a pot. That day I had been scratching my tounge to the point that it bled a little, about 1 hour before the dinner. I told myself that i had to be careful during the dinner not to infect anyone. Unfortunatly I had some drinks and forgot to be careful and now I worry that blood from my mouth passed into the pot which then was eaten by my wifes mother. The sister and the sisters son was eating from another pot but I believe that maybe the mother passed it on or i passed it on from eating from another plate. Because a short time after all three of them got sick from influenca, I was told from my wife that the mother went and tested herself at the hospital and was positive for influenca, she had fever. The sister also got fever and got some sort of large infected pimple close to her vagina. The sisters son got fever and diarreah.
    I still sometimes believe that they are all infected.

My last at a total of 6 negative hiv test were in january this year.

My current symtoms are my tounge which has not changed during these years, i have had persistant athletes foot, i have had problems with pimples and red itchy skin and dandruff on my scalp and HPV. The pimples and itchy scalp has gotten better. I have also been prone to tonsilitis these past years. I might add that i check my tounge often and my feet and my scalp, i also check my face alot and I used to check my fingers for warts, and my eyes for pimples.

I spend several hours a day with intrusive thought about hiv, and I have a hard time going to family dinners as im constantly looking at my relatives for signs of hiv.

Im getting tired of worrying about my wife and my child all the time, does this sound like health anxiety? Does anyone have any advice?

Re: Fear of having contracted/spreading hiv

i think all your negative tests mean you are hiv negative so feel good about that..
    what you probably feel is some guilt over your partying days..i know that contributes to my HA..just remember..keith richards is still alive and kicking :-)..i read his autobiography a few years ago during a bout of HA and oddly enough it was helpful..i thought to myself if this guy is still alive then im probably ok...

Re: Fear of having contracted/spreading hiv

You can ABSOLUTELY not have HIV with all those tests coming out negative. It is simply impossible. Guaranteed. Being killed by an alien invasion in the next 24 hours is going to be more likely than all those tests - including your wife's - being faulty.

I know how it feels with irrational worries though. It' always easier to see the unlikeliness when it's other people.

BTW hiv is not even a fatal disease anymore - and people who are in treatment for it basically can't pass it on (meaning that sex with someone who's got it will most likely not infect you (as they'll most likely be in some kind of treatment)).

Thread Information