Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claire Weekes, what a result

Claire Weekes, what a result

Hiya

Snowed in so have a bit of time to kill . About 9 years ago when I turned 30, I started to suffer from bouts of panic and anxiety that would be more prolific in the mornings and almost disappear by the evening.

As time went on, these attacks became more frequent until 1 day, after arriving at work, I ended up in the toilet in tears (not a common site, I am not usually the tearful type, trust me ). I could not for the life of me think why this was happening to me, no real problems, good job, happy married etc etc. I had a slighty rough upbringing but not enough to warrant such a reaction to everyday life.

After searching the subject to the point of exhaustion, I finally bit the bullet and went to see my GP. Straight away, I was put on SSRI's without any offer of talking therapy.

I was sceptical to say the least but I tried meds, unfortunately, for me, they did not suit and made my anxiety much higher. After many trips to the docs (and even a spell of therapy, nice chap, although he supported Man Utd, so I took everything with a pinch of salt) I was at an all time low. Still working, but I was just on auto-pilot, getting through work to pay bills, keep the family etc, seeing home at night as another day over, hiding from mates who really were starting to get cheesed off with me not turning up for a beer or returning calls. I just seen socialing as one more hassle I could do without.

Enter Claire Weekes. For those who are not familiar with her, she was a Mental health Dr, before her time some would say. She wrote many self-help books, and in a fit of desperation I got hold of a copy of "Hope and help for your nerves".

What a revelation, I would never had thought a self help book would help me, I had resigned myself to a life with panic and anxiety, never to be like those others I see, living, holidays, sports, etc etc. Even dining out was a nightmare.

I know I know I am going on a bit, nearly there.

It wasn't easy, but practising her method, understanding what panic actually is, accepting the panic then moving on till the fear goes, took time.

Now ? I hear u ask? you can count the "bad anxiety days" in a year on one hand. I am down the gym regular, out with the lads a couple of Fridays a month (yip, 39 and still not grown up [8D]) Work as a se;f-employed IT Consultant, and generally go about my business not fearing my heart is about to stop (although the old demon comes back but never stays long).

So while u are reading this thinking "will this muppet ever shut up?" just remember that those reading this who are in that dark period with thoughts of "this is my future, a life of misery", i am telling you I was there, and once you find what works best, it can be overcome.

Ok don't panic, I know its a long post, blame the snow I was bored stuck at home.

Jaco45er

elo,

A big welcome to the site..great support n advice here x

Take care,
    Lin xxx
    "Fear is dat lil darkroom, wer negatives r developed", so positive thoughts okies!!!!!

i too hav read claire weekes books and think she is brilliant,unfortunaly i dont hav a great,by the way very well dun,sucess storey.i still fear the fear and every pain think HEART ATTACK, but i do agree she has a great understanding and wood recommend her books.maybe i will be able to rite my storey with a happy ending like yours some day.well dun again.

pjrobb

HI Jaco

And a BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

http://www.controllinganxiety.com/ca..._downloads.cfm

Hi Jaco, here's a link to some spoken MP3s (free) by Dr Weekes. I found them very helpful and a complement to her books.

Jo

Hi Jaco,

A big warm welcome to you.

"When There Was Only One It Was Then That I Carried You."

Hi Jaco

A warm welcome aboard.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Cheers for the welcome all

Jaco

I am reading her book at the moment and she seems to have written exactly what i have felt, its uncanny and very comforting!

''my life is full of catastrophies, most of which never happened''

Hi Jaco and welcome to the site, great to hear from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information