Thread: Could this be an anxiety symptom?

Could this be an anxiety symptom?

Hey everyone. I've been having this weird thing that I'm not sure is an anxiety symptom. For example, on many mornings when I wake up I feel a lot of mucus buildup in my throat, like it feels kind of clogged and sticky. This tends to occur randomly some times, like at the moment. So I tend to swallow a lot and drink lots of water when this happens, some times I get really nauseous from it though and once I even threw up. Could this be an anxiety symptom, or is it more likely to be because I smoke?

I know that soda and lots of high fructose corn syrup can cause this, but for some time now I've been drinking only spring water. My diet is pretty good and I'm not allergic to anything that I know of... it's just a weird thing I'm not used to. Been smoking since I was like 13 and never had this problem before, still, I guess it could be that.

Has anyone had a similar issue and can anyone tell me if this might be a symptom?

Hi David,

I used to get this until I had a sinus operation. It is called a post nasal drip or catarrh. You can search this one on the web as it isn't anything to worry about just annoying.

It used to make me feel nauseous as I would be trying to swallow it down and it wouldn't shift.

Deb

Yes I get that sometimes David. I find that sucking Olbas oil pastilles or penetrating catarrh pastilles (containing creosote) helps a lot. I also sprinkle a few drops of Olbas oil on a tissue at night. I suffer from breathing anxiety, so anything which could possibly interfere with air getting into my lungs starts a wave of panic - I usually rush to the mirror to see if I can see anything. I believe dairy products can make catarrh worse but have not yet cut out dairy from my diet as I love cheese too much! I have also got a deviated septum (bone down centre of nose) which is partially obstructing one nostril. I was offered an operation to correct this (it was caused when I was hit on my nose with a flying frisby on holiday) but too scared to have the op. I also find drinking hot Ribena (blackcurrant drink) helps. Hope you can find some relief, I know how unsettling this is. Brandy Snap xx

Hi Brandy Snap.

That was why I had my sinus operation for the deviated septum. It was the best thing that i have had done. I actually didn't know that you could breath better.

Deb

Thank you both. Yeah, my Doc told me like a month ago that I had post-nasal drip, but I thought it was something that only lasted like a week or so. He gave me some sort of nasal inhaler, but when I take it it makes me feel all high and excited. Uhm, flonase I think it's called.

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one who gets this. It's a big bother some times, but as long as it's not really going to hurt me I guess I can handle it eh? I get some breathing anxiety at times too, so I know how that is Brandy. I wish I could quit smoking, I'm just afraid that trying would make my panic attacks more frequent.

God bless you both

Dave

Hi Debstar, I had gone in for the pre-op. talk for straightening my septum and was ready to go through with the op. in a few days, when one of our best friends had a pulmonary embolism following a similar op. and I chickened out. Bad timing! He was OK but things were scarey for a while. Glad you can breathe better. Brandy Snap xx

Re: Could this be an anxiety symptom?

Hi Brandy Snap,

I can see why you chose not to. I would've chickened out too.

Deb

Thread Information