Thread: Dark windows

Dark windows

I don't think this is a real phobia, but I have had it for a long time and it is my worst. I think it's because when I was ten I was sitting alone in the living room looking at my birthday presents, we had two big windows in that room and it was pretty late at night, and some people (we never found out who or why) drove by and shot through the windows. I wasnt injured, just some glass in my leg, but now as an adult the sight of a dark window that I can't see through makes me have a terrible attack. It usually only happens when I'm alone.
    I dont know what to do about it, I have tried to confront the fear but it is unbearable to stand and look into it when I cant see through it. This isnt something I have ever admitted to anyone before.
    Any advice?

Hi Rachel,you may need to see a counsellor to talk about your fears.Opening may help you.

Ellen XX

Hi Rachel, I can't stand dark windows (not for any specific reason). As soon as it comes dark I have to close the curtain and there daren't be any cracks in them. I go mad at the kids when they are always tooting out of the window to see if they can see their mates and don't shut them properly. I even moved house and I have a lampost right outside my front door now!

It must have been pretty terrifying for someone to shoot through your windows and it's understandable that you have this phobia still.

Ellen may be right, have you thought about counselling? The thing I've noticed about counsellors is they come up with some quite simple solutions that I would never have thought of, it's hard to explain but they all seem to have more common sense than me and I always think to myself "why didn't I think of that all those years ago" instead of worrying and scaring myself all this time.

Good luck with it.

Les, xx

Thread Information