Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dizzy spells

Dizzy spells

I know this is a common one, but has anybody got any handy hints/advice for dealing with dizzy spells/feeling lightheaded in a subtle manner. I find I'm getting them more now I'm back at work, and especially when I talk to people. I'm trying to control the breathing, and have a tissue with geranium on which i sniff whilst pretending to gently wipe my nose.

I mean, I know the dizziness is due to the anxiety and not breathing properly, but it's just freaking me out at the moment, and makes me feel like I've made no progress at all over the summer.

Hi there

I get dizzy like you when talking to people. I always have a glass of water on my desk and I find it helps to sip it thoughout the day, and if i can i go out of the building if i feel too bad just for 5 mins to get some fresh air. I don't know if that advice will hellp or not! That's just what I do..hope you feel better soon

KW

hello there,

Eating something small has always got rid of my dizzy spells. Even just sucking on a sweetie often helps.

Sarah

I know this sounds so selfish, but to know other people suffer with dizziness does help me i have suffered with panic attacks for fifteen years now, and my main symptom being dizziness, i know i,m not going to die or collapse, but i still can,t convince myself it is just panic,, i have no good advice other than to say, i have been so dizzy for so many years, nothing worse has happened, i've never fainted, i've not had a heart attack, listen to me, i wish i could have been this sensible this morning when i had to run out of the shop cos i felt so bad

Dizziness is my worst and most feared symptom too. I get it every day, but I am starting to believe it wont hurt me, and hopefully half the battle is won.
    Best wishes,
    Christine

Thanks guys. I'll definitely try the water and sweeties (do I need a better excuse for that??) and I am trying to tell myself that I have actually yet to faint. Am also thinking of taking a small radio into the school and putting Classic FM on in the background as I find it very calming at the moment.

It goes with time and confidence

Meg

I get dizzy *a lot* and have done for several years now. No quick fixes but I do find that eating properly, lots of good whole grains and no processed foods, and drinking plenty of water all day helps a bit.

If I do get a dizzy spell, I try and take a moment and "centre" myself by holding onto something very firm, like a wall, or something very big and heavy and concentrating on focusing my mind on it. Doesn't always work but it is worth a shot!

As you keep practicing telling yourself that it is only panic and nothing more serious, it will fade. Just takes time and persistence.

I just tell myself it's only anxiety and that it can't harm me. I know it's hard when it feels like you're going to fall over or pass out. I have dizziness everyday too but like you I haven't fainted yet or anything.

I often find going to the loo and doing some diaphragmatic breathing for a few minutes helps too.

Take care, you aren't alone

Jules

Thanks Jules and WS. Really helpful. Distraction seems to work best for me, as does the occasional really heavy blow out of air from my lungs. Not been too bad at work, but still finding it tough in shops. Oh well, I can't afford to buy anything anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information