Thread: Loss of libido

Loss of libido

Since I started having major anxiety and panic attacks in July I have almost totally lost interest in sex. I either just don't want to or sometimes I worry that something bad will happen during (such as heart attack or something).

Anyone else have this? Is there anything that can be done about it?

Re: Loss of libido

Yep, pretty much the same here, especially when it comes to worrying about a heart attack. I also have an increased number of ectopics during, so that doesn't help. I don't think there is anything that can be done aside from working on the root cause (in my case health anxiety) and just trying not to focus on it as much as possible.

Have you started any meds prior to this? Many of them have side effects but they don't affect everyone this way and some people either need a switch or an adjunct med to counteract it.

To honest though, low mood and depression can easily a cause of this. Anxiety can make us so tired from our bodies overworking that we lose interest in many things and find interest, motivation and pleasure quite difficult.

I was the same with worrying about any level of exercise that would cause a change in how my body felt as I've always been very symptom focused (I don't have HA though).

At first this fear would include the changes felt in masturbation as well as orgasm. After that I had to conquer the same issues with sex. It was a matter of exposure and repetition to get past the fear side.

I've never really had a problem with arousal though but can identify with the rest. I think it would be good for you to get some comments from women on this as I think sexual arousal is a slightly different subject between the sexes (us blokes are usually turned on by an innocent hand gesture, hence Nigella's popularity ) but in terms of the anxiety side over fear of symptoms, it's the same.

Thanks for the replies!

Haha Terry! I'm not on any meds, so I'm putting it down to anxiety/stress. I suppose I'm also worried it's a reflection of my relationship with my boyfriend, but I think if is hard to judge as the last few months haven't been 'normal' because of my anxiety and the strain that has put on us.

Would be good to have a female opinion though if there are any other women out there!

It sounds like anxiety then.

I think we all go through these worries about our relationships but as usual with anxiety disorders we have them out of context and are looking at all the wrong things and ignoring the positives.

So, in your case it sounds more like a bit of performance anxiety rolled into relationship anxiety?

I know exactly what you are talking about . The constant fear of heart attack or something causes anxiety fast heart beat and then the irritating skipping. It freaks me out and everytime I think about sex and my heart starts beating faster and my heart starts skipping and then I just have to forget about it. Sometimes I have to force myself to go through the skipped heartbeats and faster heartbeat and worrying because I enjoy being initimate and don't want to lose that. I do however let it cheat me out of a lot of times it would be enjoyable but the fear steps in and stops me. Really isn't a nice thing.

I'm female. My OH is becoming more and more frustrated as my body just doesn't switch on no matter what we try. I've recently had some of my meds changed, so it could be that, but now I've become so anxious that I can't respond that the anxiety takes over the minute he comes near me. A vicious circle. I am going to ask the doc about it next time I go.

I think you're right Terry, I just need to take a step back and not jump to worst conclusions!

Mnaha, I feel the same about intimacy and I also think it's ironic that the anxiety stops us having sex however sex has a positive impact on us mentally! I hope you can work through it.

23tana - nice to hear from a lady! That's rubbish that your meds are making you feel this way, it sounds hopeful though if it is then that's causing it because then you can change that. Hope it gets sorted soon

Thread Information