Thread: SJW Side Effects ?

SJW Side Effects ?

Hi

I have been taking St John's Wort (SJW) for approx 4 weeks, at the recommended dosage.

I have noticed for the last couple of weeks that I have had almost permanent pins and needles in my feet. Over the last week or so, I have also had a feint whistle in both ears.

3 days ago I stopped taking the SJW and the pins and needles in my feet has improved dramatically. The whistling noise is better, but still there.

I just wondered if anyone thought that these symptoms could in fact be side effects of the SJW ?

Has anyone else had these side effects ?

Thanks
    Dave

Re: SJW Side Effects ?

yes this is a known side effect. . You would be advised to cut the dose you are taking in half and then slowly increase the dose. Are you a vegetarian? as vegetarians tend to have high intake of salicillic acid as found in nuts, broad leaf vegetables.... also found in meds(asprin) they all cause "whistles" -tinitus in the ears. Be aware not to take SJW on an empty stomach. Many people have the same reaction to prescribed anti depressants so do not worry to much.
    Did you put your self on this medication? - you say the recommended dosage but do not say what.
    PM me if you wish more info.

Check this site out dave:

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/ar...johnswort.html

Even though its herbal, you still need watch what else (if anything) you are taking with it.

I tried it a few years back, it didn't have a lot of effect on me either way, good or bad but I was more anxious than depressed. Although I read that in Germany they prescribe it for moderate depression in place of SSRI's.

Good Luck

hi there
    its a known fact that almost everyone gets some kind of side effects.
    i took it and my mood got worse saw gp and he told me to stop it.

please dont be put off by my own experiences because different things happen to individuals, we are all different.

i hope you find something to help you.

ness

I had a similar experience to smudgie, I had quite a few side effects from it, similar to prescription ad's.

It is different for each individual person. Perhaps try reducing the dose if it is improving your mood but causing too many problems.

Jim

Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

Lemonade Lolly, yes, I think my mood did lift, I certainly think I felt less anxious.

Clarissa, I am not a vegetarian, though I don't eat a lot of meat.

Jaco45er, thanks for the link. Interesting reading.

I have actually started taking the SJW again, because, although the side effects I was getting subsided when I stopped them, over the last few days they came back 10 times worse !!

Seems it might be a balancing act, i.e. I need some, but not too much perhaps ? I think I will do as you suggest Jim.

Kind Regards
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco45er View Post
    ... I tried it a few years back, it didn't have a lot of effect on me either way, good or bad but I was more anxious than depressed. Although I read that in Germany they prescribe it for moderate depression in place of SSRI's.

Good Luck
    Lurker here. Indeed SJW is often used here in Germany. Studies here have pretty much shown it is effective (as you say for mild/moderate depression) and it is a choice of many physicians. I've taken it in the past and am not sure whether it worked or whether other steps I took worked. Stopping taking it did seem to coincide with return of depressive feelings (GAD here) but I'm not 100% convinced one way or t'other.

In any case, despite being about as colourful as the underside of a fish, I never encountered any issues with photosensitivity being outside. Mind you I wasn't outside much. Remains to be seen if that does become an issue because I've been outside a fair bit the past couple of months (walking 2x daily, about an hour each time).

(slinks back into lurk mode)

DAH

Hi Dah

I knew I had read it somewhere.

Interesting concept how Germany have adopted SJW, as it is seen as an alternative med in the UK.

I think I also read that Germany pioneered the concept of recommending exercise to combact depression/anxiety.

Exercise is the only real "therapy" that has had a significant effect on controlling my anxiety.

TC

Jaco

Yup, SJW is *big* here. Pretty much a first line offering. Exercise is also very big here. I'm an American who moved here awhile back and boy, was I surprised by the number of folks who walk/bike instead of driving. Took me a long time to goad myself into exercising (which for me is walking a fair bit). I knew I needed to but I just couldn't get up the ambition to do it. There are still days when I have to get stern with myself, especially on hot and humid days.

As for whether it works or not (exercise), only difference I've seen is that I now fall asleep far, far easier. I don't necessarily stay asleep (my main panic time is middle of the night from a sound sleep, full-tilt boogie, flags flyin', adrenals working double time) but it's an improvement over the "well, here I lay and I'll maybe fall asleep but I know I'll wake up in startle mode and it'll all start over...again".

Sometimes that does still happen but I'm getting a fair good sleep before it does which beats where I was a year ago...so sleep deprived I was in pretty rough shape. And now, too, I can always go for a walk (if I can convince myself I won't suffocate trying...heh).

Too, there's something magical about dawn in a rural area. It's like a daily transfusion of peace. Can't go wrong with that.

Thread Information