Thread: Constant fear of heart problems

Constant fear of heart problems

I have had very bad anxiety lately but it's the first time that I am experiencing physical symptoms like I have been for the past 2 weeks or so. Constant chest pressure and discomfort, sharp pains on left and right side of my chest. pain in my hands and this morning a shooting pain in my jaw. I have been googling theses symptoms and they are classic symptoms which indicate a heart issue. I have never had any heart issues in my life, my cholesterol is normal and I so smoke but don't drink and try to eat fairly healthy. my dad died a year ago from heart issues and it has been constantly playing on my mind. I went to my doctor earlier this week and had an ekg done which was clear and my doctor assured me that my heart is fine. I had one about 2 years ago as well when I first started having anxiety and the results were 100% fine. Why am I experiencing these physical symptoms and why can't I stop feeling like this. has anyone else experienced this and how did you handle it?

Re: Constant fear of heart problems

Lee,

I have had a heart attack and the key to your post is that you had and ECG last week and everything is fine.
    It is quite natural that despite being given the all clear your mind is preying on the fact that your Dad died a year ago from heart issues.

Try and maintain a healthier lifestyle, quit smoking and there are seveal ways to bring your anxiety down such as breathing exercises and if possible exercise more even if that means daily walking to relieve the tension in your body.

Re: Constant fear of heart problems

All these pains are muscular. One of the things anxiety does is cause us to go all tense. If you keep any muscle tense without relaxing it, then it will start to hurt. Since you have anxiety about your heart, this pain makes you more anxious and it becomes a vicious cycle.

You have to break the cycle to get relief from this pain. As Ricardo said, you can try breathing exercises and regular exercise to help you relax and release the tension in your chest muscles.

Thread Information