Thread: From tiny acorns?

From tiny acorns?

Hi all,

I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while - everything has got so busy with a combination of the new job () and an outbreak of regular migraines ([V]), but I do lurk and check new messages often, so I haven't totally abandoned everyone

This weekend, my boyfriend (who lives in Sussex, while I live in Lincolnshire - long story!) was visiting, and it seems we're kind of in that stage in our relationship where seeing each other any less than once a day isn't enough. That's great! Except I'm still slap-bang in the middle of this whole panic/anxiety thing, and so far I haven't even been able to pluck up the courage to go visit (or meet his parents [:I])

On the plus side, I've taken a couple of steps in the right direction today (I think), by driving a little further than I've been in the last...well, year probably [:I] [Sigh...], and resolutely deciding to a) go a little further next time, and further still the time after that, b) start myself on a healthier regime and c) follow Nic and Meg's guidelines until my little acorn grows into a mighty oak tree

One small drawback - which is actually a rather pathetic thing to worry about in the face of the mountain I have to climb lol! - is that I find healthy foods tasteless, which really puts me off eating them! [Oops!]

Now, I don't sit eating burgers and chips day-in, day-out, and my parents never had a problem getting me to eat my vegetables. It's just salad that turns me off - lettuce, cucumber, celery: yuck! I can only eat it if it's coated in salad cream or other dressings, which rather defeats the object of the healthy option. On the up side, I like pasta, rice, cous cous, potatoes etc. I just don't know how to make them interesting (without too much effort), so I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for how to eat healthily while avoiding lettuce and its friends..?

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

Hi Leah

Using pasta, rice and cous cous you can make some really healthy meals. Doesnt have to mean you use the salad stuff if you dont like it but if there are any vegetables you like try to use them.

Have you tried pasta with tinned tomatoes and sweetcorn, sounds simple but very healthy if that is what you want.

I am sure you will find something you like to go with it and you are using the right food and it isnt your fault you dont like salad food.

Love Sal xxxxx

hello there,

Do you like fruit? I always start my day off with berries on cereal and it makes me feel SO healthy!!

Sarah

HI leah ,

Congratulations on all the changes you're making in your life and well done on the driving progress !!

In the great scheme of things salad isn't very nutritious so don't bother with it.

Remember the more colourful the food the more nutritious is is, so carrots and broccoli are better than lettuce and celery anyway -Dark bread better than light, dark chocolate better than white etc .

Try to keep away from lots of beige foods .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Thank-you for the replies all

Sal - I'm not overly keen on tomatoes (except the sweet little cherry ones), but I do really like sweetcorn. I might try a tuna & sweetcorn pasta salad for taking to work for lunch. I've also just discovered I really like sushi (though the person who made it for me doesn't like the raw fish variety, so we had the fish cooked hehe), so maybe I'll learn how to make that

Sarah - I do like my fruit - almost any kind, in fact I don't tend to eat breakfast, because it makes me feel bloated for some reason, but I'm going to get some porridge oats, and will try some fruit in it as a substitute for sugar....or golden syrup!

Meg - thank-you for the words of encouragement I didn't know that about food colours, but I'll certainly bear it in mind, and it should suit me well - I like brocolli, carrots, beans, sweetcorn, leeks, cabbage, marrow... (the list goes on!), but I'm not so keen on cauliflower (unless it's cauliflower cheese) or many of the salady things. Some blanched mange touts and so on in a cous cous salad is sounding good at the moment

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

How bad do I feel tucking into chinese take away!!

Just a few quick things to add to whats already been suggested:-

Instead of sweets or crisps try snack-a-jacks (the caramel ones are especially yummy)

If you have bacon buy lean back bacon or turkey rashers instead and always grill it.

Have poached or scrambled eggs instead of fryed.

Switch to skimmed milk if you haven't already.

Drink de-caff tea and coffee or try fruit herbal tea

Got loads more but my dinner is getting cold.

Hugs,
    Caroline
    x

Hi Leah

Great advice you have had.

Just remember what you like and combine it in your diet. Dont have to perform miracles overnight. If you dont like salad replace it with what veg and fruit you like. Remeber to keep having oily fish at least once a week and take vitamins to help you alone.

Dont believe any of us have the perfect diet but we all know what helps and can readjust that if we dont like it.

Love Sal xxxxx

Thread Information