Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blood pressure and anxiety

Unhappy blood pressure and anxiety

Hi, i suffer from GAD and i also have high blood pressure i assumed that the two are linked, however i never seem to see many posts about blood pressure here so i am wandering if they are connected, does anyone know or have any advice.
    Thanx
    Dave.

Re: blood pressure and anxiety

Hi Dave,

I suffer from anxiety and all the weird heart stuff!! and everytime I go for my bp test its always thru the roof.....the doctor is keeping an eye on it but hasnt put me on anything for it as he says its my anxiety!! I do worry about it but he is monitoring it and I know just going into the surgery makes my heart beat at some rate!!!!!!!!!! Are you on medication??

Shaz

hi shaz. i'm currently taking one 5mg tablet per day, which doesn,t seem to be working at the mo. just had a 24 hour bp monitor test so i have to wait the results of this, but i feel sure some of it at least is due to my anxiety.

Dave.

Hey, yea Im sure it is alot to do with your anxiety, I think that next time I get mines checked and if its still up Im sure hes gonna do something, maybe the monitor however the thought of that would just send it soaring.........do you feel stressed and anxious when the bp is getting taken? they talk about this 'white coat syndrome' just going to the docs can put it up!!!
    Shaz

Dave - use the fab new search tool and type in "blood pressure anxiety"

You will find you are not alone with this.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes Dave, blood pressure and anxiety are definately linked. I have both too, started taking meds for the bp about 6 months ago, but now panic every time I try and check it.....have been known to put it up to 198/112 by panicking , so don't check it myself at the mo. Doc knows I'm anxious and hasn't increased the meds yet, but she might if I can't show her a lower reading done somewhere else than in her surgery. Also put my pulse rate up from it's usual 60 at rest to 105.............I'm taking 1.25mg Inhibace, but she has hinted I may need to take more, really need to show a lower reading, can't hack the thought of a higher dose, this is scary enough. bp is always high at the docs. You're not alone Dave.

Hi Dave. Yes, in my experience, BP can rise when you are anxious. Apparently its all part of the 'fight or fight response' that happens with anxiety. I take Sotalol, a beta blocker for my BP and an irregular heartbeat (caused by anxiety!). It's good that your doc is keeping an eye on you-I hope you feel better soon-best wishes xx

Hey folks,

I hope this is helping Dave cause it is helping me reading your responses!!!! I came out of the doctors last time absolutely paranoid about it and I know next time Im at the surgery he will test it again!!!!

Thanks

Shaz x

this is my biggest cause of anxiety .its a catch 22 .i do take mine myself sometimes im obsessed with it ,which only increases it .mine varys from 126/69 to 170 /9o .for the mo im not checking it (not today anyway ).
    im sure its anxiety thatds pushing it up .

Some medications can also push blood pressure up - eg Effexor. Also often when we go to the docs there's extra anxiety with all the waiting around so when it's taken when we finally get in, it's elevated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information