Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to cancel my hernia op, please can someone talk some sense into me?

Want to cancel my hernia op, please can someone talk some sense into me?

Hi -

I have an umbilical hernia just above my belly button. I've been advised to have the standard repair operation as it will only get worse and presents itself as a lump above my belly button (nothing breaking through the skin though...)

I cancelled the op once already because I'm scared to have it, and its now due next Thursday, I tried to cancel it again but was advised not to or I'll go to the bottom of the waiting list. I also hate the thought of my anxiety letting people down or causing problems for the NHS etc.

Has anyone had this operation? What is scaring me the most -

- the general anaesthetic, I have never had one and the feeling of losing control terrifies me, I'll be so vulnerable and won't even be able to breathe without their help.

- the breathing tube which will be the only thing helping me breathe, its invasive and I hate the thought of things being shoved down my throat.

- they might cut the wrong areas, like a major artery and this could obviously be catastrophic.

- part of me doesnt believe I actually have a hernia. I had it diagnosed at an ultra sound scan and she said it was v small and no need to operate and that the NHS wouldn't operate on one that size. She said the swelling above my belly button was nothing to do with it and she didn't know what it was.

My GP then recommended I see a surgeon about it and he said due to the size of it I SHOULD have it fixed and soon before it gets worse, he also said the swelling was because of the hernia and if I get it repaired the swelling will go.

So conflicting opinions. I also thought hernias were visible and protruded through the skin which mine doesn't.

I am in a terrible state, can't think straight and really don't know how I'll get through this the thought of that anaesthetic makes me feel sick, my heart races and I just don't see how it can be safe. They might also give me too much of it or not enough

I am spinning out of control, can anyone metaphorically slap me around the face with a wet fish??!

Re: Want to cancel my hernia op, please can someone talk some sense into me?

I would like to strongly recommend you have the operation. I say this for very personal reasons.

Ok, thank you. I appreciate your reply

If you want to know why, PM me.

But the benefits outweigh the risks here, trust me.

Have PM'd x

Have replied

I had a femoral hernia op in 1978. Back the in the old days, it was a slice and dice procedure, a couple of days in the hospital and a coule of weeks recovery. Nowadays, you'll be in and out of the OR in less than an hour and home the same day. You'll be so doped up on the good stuff you won't give a *^%.

As per the Nike slogan... "Just Do It!"

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you Fishman, much appreciated and you're right it's very quick, I've been told I'll be straight in and out pretty much as soon as I wake up!

Femoral, so was that your leg? What is general anaesthetic like? That is what's scaring me the most, if it was local it wouldn't bother me so much. I will ask for drugs don't worry about that

Quote Originally Posted by crystal17 View Post
    Thank you Fishman, much appreciated and you're right it's very quick, I've been told I'll be straight in and out pretty much as soon as I wake up!

Femoral, so was that your leg? What is general anaesthetic like? That is what's scaring me the most, if it was local it wouldn't bother me so much. I will ask for drugs don't worry about that
    Yes, femoral is the hernia going into the leg from the groin... quite painful from what I remember. A general? Well... you're already doped up so it's just like falling asleep is all and you won't give a hoot at that point anyway ~lol~

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Is there anything I can ask for before they administor the anaesthetic? I basically need something that will make me not care about what's going to happen if that makes sense.

Really starting to panic now

Just thinking as well, I don't smoke usually but had a few on NYE plus a good few drinks, am worried this will be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information