Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come some people seem to be given reassurance tests by GPS and others don't

How come some people seem to be given reassurance tests by GPS and others don't

As above. How come there are some people on here who have certain symptoms and their doctors feel it is nothing to worry about but allow them to have certain tests for reassurance. Whilst other GPs don't offer further tests.

I went to my doctors twice about my throat issues (frequent burping, on an off lump in throat feeling, swallowing a lot, occasional tender feeling) which may be linked to anxiety, although of course I am worried about the usual scary stuff. I informed the Dr about all this and he looked into my throat with a torch and felt my neck. He said it was nothing to worry about, no redness and he didn't see anything dodgy. He said that he wouldn't recommend any medication for it yet, but I could continue taking Zantac (which the chemist recommended two days ago) if I wanted. I asked about the test where they put the camera down your throat but he said it wasn't necessary. My question is how can he gauge all this from a torch into the throat?

I've seen people on here go to their GP with minor issues and be given the opportunity for tests for reassurance and to rule stuff out. I've got private medical insurance but you can't even access that without a GP referral. I don't want to keep bugging the GPs either.

Re: How come some people seem to be given reassurance tests by GPS and others don't

hey,
    I guess it depends what gp you get, I went up to mine like 3 or 4 times about my throat issues(I actually have the same symptoms as you) and on the 4th time I saw a different gp who actually told me what it could be, another time I went up to the doctors like 2 or 3 times for this strange side pain I had and when I saw a different gp he sent me up the hospital for tests even though he doubted it was(going was a mistake however as I'd never do that again haha it was scary as hell) although I never found out what it is I did find out what it wasn't so I can rest a little easy, it depends what gp you get and where you are I guess x

Re: How come some people seem to be given reassurance tests by GPS and others don't

I have exactly the same symptoms as you, I did go to ENT but that was due to ongoing ear problems. He did camera up nose and everything was fine, he didn't think it was necessary to have one down my throat.
    I've put it down to acid reflux and anxiety. Lump comes and goes, discomfort varies daily, therefore I'm reassured it's not the sinister thing.
    In terms of tests, I've never even had my bloods taken, my doctor does not want to feed my anxiety by doing tests. I agree when I'm rational!
    Xxx

I think your right Tracey. I would probably start worrying about something else anyway. I've booked in to do CBT. I think I need to treat my anxiety levels before they get really out of hand.

That's the thing hun, where does it end, my 'illnesses' are wide ranging and if they tested me for everything I present with, I'd bankrupt my surgery.
    The throat thing is annoying, mine has been going on for about 8 months but more so when I think about it.
    Xxx

You know what's helped me a bit lately, massages. You should book one someday for an hour. Even a half hour is good. I left that place feeling so relaxed I didn't even care that I had anxiety haha.

Heya, I'm same as Tracy - got my referral because of ongoing ear problems and swollen lymph node. He said he was going to request blood tests too but that was to make sure my anxiety isn't caused by anything else, nothing to do with acid reflux.

I had swollen node too, it's a benign node in neck, forgot about that, shows though that they do refer me if they have a concern xx

I'm glad your GP did the right thing. "Reassurance" tests are part of the obsessive compulsive cycles in HA and to offer them is like telling someone with a hand washing OCD compulsion to wash their hands again!

They do it out of their own fear in later reprisals or just to get someone out of the surgery quickly as opposed to spending real time helping them. The NHS are well against wasting money on these tests.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 07-01-16 at 22:45. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Traceypo View Post
    That's the thing hun, where does it end, my 'illnesses' are wide ranging and if they tested me for everything I present with, I'd bankrupt my surgery.
    The throat thing is annoying, mine has been going on for about 8 months but more so when I think about it.
    Xxx
    Mine for years...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information