Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried I have a brain tumour

Worried I have a brain tumour

I know this seems extreme and I am sorry if this post is sensitive.

2 months ago I started suffering from extreme stress. My son was very ill with panic attacks and anxiety, he had been bullied and was struggling to go to school. Every day was a battle, he just seemed to get worse and worse. In the end he told us he felt suicidal. We took him to our GP who referred him to CAMHS who refused to help, saying I'd be the best person for the job. Well things then got worse and he refused to go to school. It was so hard on me every day trying to get him there, I feel I broke down. I spent all day crying, exhausted, weak.... my daughter then fell ill and was in hospital with a bowel infection for 2 nights. It was so much stress. I became drained and my anxiety flared up. I suddenly noticed one day that when I walked it felt like the ground moved as I walked, it terrified me and within 2 weeks it became constant and I was bed bound, truly terrified.

My GP came out to see me. I told him I was struggling with fatigue every day, i had been since the summer. I'd had blood tests and other than my thyroid being almost borderline hypo I was ok. My GP did lots of tests, muscle strength, co ordination, checked my eyes, relfexes, checked i could feel his hands on my arms and legs, balance checks, BP.... I passed them all and he said it was all the extreme stress and I needed rest and to lower this stress. He was disgusted CAMHS had put so much pressure on me and so he helped me get CAMHS to re assess my son and thankfully after a months battle with them they agreed, he is now on a long waiting list.

Well 2 weeks later the dizziness was not going, I'd had a better week then wham it hit again when I was walking. My GP came out again and did a whole host of blood tests, all normal. FBC was perfect aswell as liver, kidneys etc... He again said this has to be stress and you need rest. You do not have any symptoms of a brain tumour. I then believed him and took 2 weeks over Christmas to rest and the symptom 90% cleared up, i realised then it had all been stress.

Well last week was tough, my son developed sickness with his anxiety and every morning before school he was sick 6 times with nerves, it was awful. He had a good day friday as i gave him a good CBT session the night before teaching him about anxiety and how to cope with it better. He said it really helped. I woke Saturday morning and felt awfully tired, I mean really drained. All day I sat up on the sofa feeling sedated. My fatigue is never that bad. That evening i went to bed and I lay down flat and felt like I was dizzy lying flat. I sat up and as i moved i felt my head was swaying and rocking front and back, once sat up straight a few seconds it eased and stopped. It terrified me I have never had that before. I am now afraid that, that feeling is a brain tumour. I am ok walking, it's now just this on movement when I sit up or turn over on my bed or floor. I do yoga and now can't even do that. I have tried and i get the same feeling.

I am worrying myself sick it's a brain tumour. My husband said I am just exhausted after another tough week and to rest. I am feeling so tired, brain fog, weak in legs which I guess is the anxiety, woozy head when I move. I am worried as I don't usually have this. My husband said give it a few days and if you want to call your GP then but he said it wouldn't bother him at all if it was just when he sat or lay down in bed. He said it's probably your anxiety again caused by all the stress that returned once our son was back in school.

My BP is normal and again my GP and hubby said that's great as it would be high if anything was happening like I am fearing.

Can anyone relate to this I am feeling? any reassurance? I feel I need it right now. I don't usually have health anxiety but this dizziness has really flared it up.

Thank you.

Re: Worried I have a brain tumour

I had these symptoms at the height of my brain tumour fear and a few others too so don't panic too much. The fact it went away then came back with stress is really reassuring. I'm sorry things have been so hard for you xx

Thank you Hopefulmi.

I am worried because i am fatigued daily, feel light headed and woozy and now this dizziness again. It's really worrying me. My BP is a little low too.

That is definitely something that ramps up with stress and anxiety x

Firstly, this is not a BT. I would lay money.

Has anyone mentioned Positional Vertigo to you? While there is a possibility that stress and anxiety are probably creating a lot of your dizziness, the fact you experience dizziness when laying down and turning over in bed sure sounds like PV.

I suffer from this myself periodically, and so does my Dad. It feels awful when you have it, and is very scary when the room appears to be moving or you feel intense dizziness....almost like being drunk.

PV is something that just needs to be considered here, as I know you have had your symptoms for a while, Bonnibelle. Have a read of this link and see what you think:http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20028216

This is a very common condition and can be easily treated. I am in no way saying this is what you have - I am no doctor - but it sure sounds similar purely because of the laying down and feeling dizzy thing. xxx

Thanks Debs

My friend did mention BPV to me. Only thing is i am not being sick?

My Gp is useless and wouldn't diagnose me with that. Did you have to get diagnosed by your GP or go to ENT?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Firstly, this is not a BT. I would lay money.

Has anyone mentioned Positional Vertigo to you? While there is a possibility that stress and anxiety are probably creating a lot of your dizziness, the fact you experience dizziness when laying down and turning over in bed sure sounds like PV.

I suffer from this myself periodically, and so does my Dad. It feels awful when you have it, and is very scary when the room appears to be moving or you feel intense dizziness....almost like being drunk.

PV is something that just needs to be considered here, as I know you have had your symptoms for a while, Bonnibelle. Have a read of this link and see what you think:http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20028216

This is a very common condition and can be easily treated. I am in no way saying this is what you have - I am no doctor - but it sure sounds similar purely because of the laying down and feeling dizzy thing. xxx

A GP could easily diagnose Benign Positional Vertigo

Oh thank you. I am speaking to him Thursday so i shall ask him, he my not want to see me again as he has examined me twice and done bloods only last month.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    A GP could easily diagnose Benign Positional Vertigo

You are not necessarily sick with it, Bonnibelle. It is just that you may experience nausea and sickness because of the balance issues and dizziness, as the cause is usually related to inner ear issues. Bit like being on a boat on choppy sea!

To be honest, I was not formally diagnosed by anyone. I had the symptoms start very gradually - when I turned over in bed I would feel dizzy and the room would appear to move at my eyeline (so as I turned and faced the side, the room would be shifting a bit. When I stood up, I was fine again. This progressed though, to feeling extreme vertigo and the spinning room when I was standing, and that REALLY scared me and freaked me out.

I did a Google search, as I knew from my own knowledge as an ex-nurse that this was vertigo of some kind, and I found positional vertigo. Everything sounded like what I was experiencing, and because it was so intense, I immediately tried out the suggested treatment of the Epley Manoevre - a simple exercise that should nip the dizziness in the bud. Here is some info:http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/l...epley-maneuver

I did it myself at home, and it worked for me, but I am a bit gung-ho when it comes to just trying these things out myself, but this comes from having nursed I think.

I just thought that it was worth mentioning this to you, Bonnibelle, as it sort of fits your symptoms, and may be worth some consideration. Perhaps another word with your doctor may an idea. xxx

There is also the Cawthorne-Cooksey exercises which the GP can give you as a hand-out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information